Chapter 2

Amy, one year on, smiled down at the mango in her hand before putting it in her shopping basket, thanking God that she had spent that summer with her grandmother and subsequently enrolled in university in Huntington Beach. Little had she known that day that the spark between her and Drew would turn into a deep friendship that would see her living with the boys just a short few months later, and a subsequent romance that would see them both the happiest they had been in a long time. ‘Why pay for shitty university accommodation when you can stay here with us?’ Wes had proposed when she told them that she had been accepted into the university just five blocks from the boys’ home. The three had been more than happy to clear out the old study they had abandoned when their music career had kicked off for her.

Turning the key in the door, Amy was surprised to find the house empty. The boys should have been back from the studio by now, but then again they were skateboarding home, and that often lead to hours of ollies and flip tricks. Amy decided to make chocolate chip cookies in the hope that they would be back before she was done.

‘Home!’ Wes called as he flung open the door. Amy put the cookies in the oven, and was just closing the door when Drew came up behind her and wrapped his thick arms tightly around her torso. She tried to turn to kiss him, but his grip was too tight. ‘What’s up, babe?’ she asked. ‘What were you singing?’ Amy tried to remember – what had she been singing? She never really stopped singing one song or another so it was hard to remember what particular song had been in her head when the boys had come in. ‘Was it or was it not,’ Drew growled playfully ‘’To The Moon And Back’?’ Keaton, stroking his cat, Zuni, on the cough, looked up, beaming, an congratulated himself with a soft ‘Yesss!’ Amy laughed ‘It might have been.’ ‘And who wrote that song?’ Drew continued his mock-interrogation. ‘I did!’ Keaton raised his hand, delighted with himself. Drew pulled Amy backwards over to the wall and turned her around so that she had her back to it, placing his palms against the wall on either side of her shoulders. ‘Can you name some other songs?’ ‘Sure, ‘ Amy was charmed by Drew’s dramatics, and decided to feign oblivion ‘’Little Things’, ‘Skyscraper’, ‘One Less Lonely Girl’-‘ ‘My songs.’ Drew interrupted, his vulnerability evident in his jealousy. Amy smiled. She often did sing his songs around the house, he would interrupt her for the rap parts, the two of them dancing around the kitchen together. Wes would roll his eyes, disapproving of their public duets, but secretly enjoying their happiness. Amy stepped forward, pressing her body against Drew’s, and sang softly ‘Gotta get my grind on, yeah…’ Wrapping her arms around his neck, she leaned in and kissed him slowly.