Chapter 1

I stood there completely shocked at what had just happened. I couldn't believe she was gone just like that! I stared down at my mom's body. I couldn't bring myself to scream. I knew if they were looking they would find me.

I ran as quietly as I could into my dad's office.

"Dad they're here! The Taliban is here and they killed mom!" I whispered in a panicked way.

He looked completely alert now. He rushed up from his seat and lead me back behind his desk. He lifted a corner of his desk and underneath, was a red button. I had never been aware of this. it would have come in handy when I played hide 'n' seek with my cousins. A bookcase turned around and a staircase appeared. My dad motioned for me to walk down the stairs so I did.

He didn't follow me but I knew he would be okay. That's why the Taliban was after him in the first place. My dad is a spy for the United States government. A little more than six years ago, my dad killed one of the Taliban's most important men. Ever since then, we have been through the Witness Protection Program because the Taliban has sworn revenge on my dad. We had to leave all our family and friends behind and start a completely new life. At first I thought it would be good for us, but now I realized that we moved away from everyone and everything we loved just so we could be found and possibly killed.

I was starting to get worried. It had been a while since my dad was with me. He should be here by now!

After what seemed like a lifetime, I finally heard my dad coming down the stairs. I stood up, relief washing over me. I thought he was dead. I ran to hug him. I didn't even realize that I had tears streaming down my face until my dad wiped them away for me.

"Go pack everything you absolutely need. You're leaving."

"Where are we going?"

"You are going to California to live with the William's family, remember them? Now hurry we don't have much time. Meet me at the car when you're finished."

I practically ran upstairs, not wanting to spend another minute in this house.

I gasped when I saw all the dead bodies on the floor. How could my dad kill so many people singlehandedly?

I shrugged it off and continued at a decent pace to my room.

I got out my hot pink suitcases and started packing my clothes and shoes. I couldn't take them all because I needed other stuff too. I also packed all of my money, my toothbrush and hairbrush, a few of my cosmetics, my iPod, and a few of the gifts my mom and close friends and family had given to me. It all just barely fit into my suitcase.

My dad told me to meet him by the car so I headed back downstairs and out the door.

He rushed towards me and took my suitcase and loaded it into the trunk. Then we both got into the car and left. I knew we were headed to the airport. How else would I get to California?

"What are you going to do?" I asked finally voicing my thoughts.

"I will be fine. I have sworn my life to the government, so I have to tell them what has happened. I won't be able to live with you anymore and we wont be able to see each other very often, but I promise I will visit."

"Will you call me when everything is safe and I can come back?"

"Veronnica!" he practically screamed, and not to mention, used my whole name, "there is no coming back. I want you to be safe and in order for that to happen, you have to be as far away from me as possible."

"Okay." I said knowing he was under a lot of stress and it would be best just to agree with him. "will you write?"

"The Taliban knows I have a daughter. While trying to track me they could go through my phone or my mail and see that I keep in contact with someone from California and they might come and take you hostage. If I lose you too, I don't know what I would do. I need to keep you alive, and this is the best way to do it."

We pulled into the airport parking lot.

"Here is your passport and a debit card for all your expensses a flight to California. There will be a man holding a sign with you last name on it. You will be safe with him. Whatever you do, try to make the best of this bad situation. And no matter what happens, never forget thatI love you." He said, worry clear in his eyes.

"I love you too." I choked out.

I got out of the car and headed into the airport while wiping my tears so nobody asked any questions or felt bad for me. If there's anything I hate, it's pity.

When I walked in, I got some weird looks. That is the time I remembered I was in my pajamas which consisted of fuzzy pants with tweety bird on them and a light blue spaghetti strap tank top, and to top it all off, bunny slippers. If I was in any other situation, this would be really embarrassing, but considering the circumstances, i didnt really care what anyone thought of me right now.

I walked up to the employee behind the counter to get my ticket like I had so many times before for family vacations and any other occasion that involved getting on a plane. I never really minded it though I just slept the whole way. I took out my passport and the money 

"One ticket to California please." I said while handing her the money.

"You better hurry." she said handing me my ticket. "Last I heard that flight was leaving in ten minutes and you still have security to get through."

"Thank you!" I said now in a hurry

I ran as fast as I could with a suitcase in the direction of airport security and made it through rather quickly. Then I ran the rest of the way to my flight, gave the flight attendant my ticket and chose a seat in first class.

And I was on my way.