Chapter 6: The Packet of Potential

Shep wondered around the outside of Lilly's house, for the eighth time in a row. He left no stone un-turned in his search for any signs of life. Lilly's living room curtains were drawn tight, allowing him to see nothing but darkness; much like the current state of his heart.

He kicked a rock angrily, and listened as it clanged down the pipes of a sewer drain. He grunted loudly. Lilly was no more present now, then she had been the last seven times he checked. He looked over the ground and shook his head sadly. Fresh grass patches scattered Lilly's lawn, somewhat still hidden underneath the melting snow.

Lilly loved the Spring time, he remembered. He closed his tear smeared hazel eyes for a moment, and the world around him quieted down. It had been two weeks since he last saw her, but it felt more like an eternity. The night she went missing, they were leaving the store empty handed; after being rushed out by Lilly for some unknown reason. He vaguely remembered her saying she would talk to him in private about why she rushed them out. Unfortunately for Shep, that conversation never took place. Now he was left wondering if whatever had happened in the store, had anything to do with her disappearance now.

He exhaled heavily, and clasped his freezing hands together. He then began to envision a happier time in the hopes that it would balance out his worsening mental state. He and Lilly were resting comfortably on her old couch. They were watching something funny on TV, and Lilly's Mama, Silas, and Brendon were in the kitchen talking. They were safe, sound, and all together. When he opened his eyes Lilly's mischievous laugh and baby blues faded into his heart. He bowed his head and wondered if he would ever see them shining again.

The conversation regarding the boat named "Meredith" was the last conversation he recalled having before things went blank. Now two incredible losses were associated with the name Meredith; and Shep vowed he would never speak the name again. The following morning after Lilly and her Mother disappeared, Shep awoke in a cold sweat. He looked around his bedroom swiftly, unsure of how he got there.

"Dad!" He yelled in a panic.

He then heard loud squeaking footsteps racing down the hall to his bedroom. Seconds later Brendon skidded into Shep's bedroom and flicked on the light. The look of panic on Brendon's face alarmed Shep. Silas appeared seconds later, equally startled. For a moment they looked at each other confused, panicked, and still fully clothed in their winter attire.

"What happened Dad!" Silas yelled.

"I don't remember coming home. Did we drop Lilly off Dad?!" Shep yelled.

"I....I don't know boys....I just...don't know." Brendon yelled.

Shep leaped out of bed suddenly, and raced over to Lilly's house. Brendon and Silas followed suit seconds later. He banged on Lilly's door unmercifully. After five minutes of this, Brendon grabbed Shep's fist and let out a large sigh.

"Son, they're probably asleep, and your drawing unwanted attention to us past curfew. It's 4:45 in the morning, let's get some rest and check again when it's daylight. People are gonna think we are up to no good at this hour. " Brendon said sadly.

Shep's head lowered to Lilly's front door, and his eyes closed slowly.

"Please answer Lilly....please." He said somberly.

"Dude. Man.... come on, I'll help you look in the morning. You know they wouldn't answer after the curfew alarm anyways." Silas said as he grabbed Shep lovingly by the shoulders.

"Come on bud, men don't cry over ladies." Brendon stated sadly.

Remembering that day continued to break Shep's heart. Now here it was two weeks later, and he continued to pound on their door despite knowing they weren't going to answer.