One

Akiko flipped the sign from Closed to Open. It was time for yet another day of work.

Not that she minded, though. She loved being the owner and manager of her little café. It gave her a steady income, and her customers loved the cheerful atmosphere she let loose in the café.

Akiko Val was a petite girl, with long, dark brown hair and blue eyes. She wasn't exactly a girl anymore, as she constantly reminded her uncle, she was in her early twenties.

Her parents had died several years ago, in a fire, leaving her in the custody of her uncle and aunt at a young age. When she reached the legal age, she took over her parents' old café and, with the help of her relatives, brought life into it once more.

Akiko plopped into her seat behind the cash counter as she waited for her customers. Her assistant, Clara, was on leave today, so she was on her own. She picked up the morning paper and read the headlines.

"District Governor faces rebellion from factory workers...well, he brought it upon himself...International Relations to be introduced as a major in the National University...interesting...New blood bank opens in Red Town...oh, that's nice! Good for them!"

Just then, the café door opened with a slight tinkling of bells.

"Welcome!" Akiko said cheerfully, standing up to greet the customer.

* * * *

Uruha lowered his sunglasses just the slightest as he walked up to the counter, to see the menu better. The café was empty, except for a girl at the counter. Good enough.

"Uh, hi," he began. "Do you have any meat dishes?"

"Yes, we've got a chicken salad and chicken sandwiches on sale." She smiled. "You're new here, aren't you?"

"H-how did you know?" Uruha asked nervously. He couldn't have anyone probing into his life.

"Everyone here knows atleast half the menu," she answered. "You seem like a visitor."

"Y-yeah, I'm here for a few days. I'll have the chicken salad, thanks."

He hurriedly paid the bill and sat somewhere before this strange girl could ask him any more questions.

After ten minutes, she walked over to him. "One chicken salad, fresh and cold," she said. "Enjoy your meal!"

She went back to the newspaper she had been reading before he walked in. He heard a sharp intake of breath along with the rustling of pages.

"Is something wrong?" Uruha asked, looking up.

"No, nothing at all," the girl said, but her eyes told a different story. He knew she was lying, but shrugged and went back to his salad.

The chicken was raw, just the way he liked it. It wasn't so raw that he could almost sense the blood, but then again, this wasn't like the café back home, where the owner knew his preferences.

Uruha was half way through his meal when he heard a strange rumbling. At first, he thought it was someone's stomach, but then he saw the girl at the counter get up, adjust her apron, and assume a position similar to a soldier preparing for battle.

* * * *

"Akiko! Can I have a cheese sandwich?"

"Three chocolate milshakes, please!!"

"My boss needs a cold coffee now, Akiko, heeelp!!!"

And the daily lunch rush was on. She sighed as she juggled seven orders at once. Luckily, it was a weekend, so not many people were outside. If anyone did venture out for lunch, they either went to the Town Hall Restaurant, or the next town, which was far bigger than theirs. Few people spent an entire lunchtime at her little café; it was mostly takeaway orders.

Akiko bit her lip and got back to work.

* * * *

Uruha stiffened. Was that what he thought it was?

The familiar sweet smell drifted past his nostrils. But this blood was different. It was so pure and reminded Uruha of some of the most carefree days in his long life. It smelled sweeter than usual, but not sickly sweet.

He looked up to see the café manager - Akiko, someone called her - wiping her bottom lip. More blood trickled down, but she didn't notice.

Uruha clenched his fists. Not now. You can't lose control. Remember what happened to that rookie last year. Breathe. BREATHE!

But it was difficult. He gripped the sides of the table until the scent subsided and the other customers had gone.

When it was just the two of them in the café again, he let out a sigh of relief.

Being a vampire can be damn annoying at times.

Hey, everyone! This is another story I'm gonna be juggling along with the others I'm writing. I get too many ideas at one go.

Anyhow, hope you like the chapter!