Run Along Home

Nova's POV

I suppose you could say I'm the runt of the litter, though it is common knowledge that werewolves aren't born in litters. At 18 years old I was just over five feet tall and barely over 100 pounds. I pulled my workout clothes on and tied my long blond hair into a high ponytail on top of my head. I glanced at my alarm clock that told me it was just after eight o'clock in the morning. I checked my appearance on last time in the standing mirror against my wall. My blue eyes twinkled with excitement at the opportunity of getting to run with the pack. A rare treat for me. I smiled and gave myself a thumbs up before I bounced out of the front door. I smiled as I walked up to the sand volleyball pits where everyone met. I walked up to my older brother Chris before saying a small hi. My brother was almost the exact opposite of me. He was annoyingly tall with dark brown hair and eyes, perfectly tanned skin, and the muscle of a body builder. He was the quarterback on the football team, captain of the wrestling team, a three time state champion in track, and future Beta of the pack. The perfect child.

Chris looked down at me and smiled,

"You gonna keep up today Squirt?" He asked me, using my nickname he made for me when we were younger. He pulled me tightly against him in a one armed hug.

"Hopefully." I smiled weakly back, suddenly losing confidence in myself.

"You'll be fine." He said his voice full of the confidence that was absent from my reply as he released me from his iron grip.

I rubbed my arm where his fingers had squeezed my arm. It didn't hurt enough to leave a bruise, but I was small enough that it felt like. I looked around me at the other people that had gathered for the run. They all knew me, and I knew all of them, but they chose to ignore me. I wrapped my arms around my stomach and moved to one of the empty picnic tables off to the side. I sat down and tied my tennis shoe that had come undone. I focused on my task, ignoring the loneliness that was eating away at me. I didn't have any real friends in the pack. People were nice to me, sure, but only because they were afraid of my brother, but that didn't stop all of them. I was still picked on significantly while I was in school. Graduation had been last week and summer was just getting started. Chris tried to throw me a graduation party, but I wouldn't let him. It was hard enough to be an outcast, he didn't need to rub it in. I finished tying my shoe and stood up, bumping into a hard chest as I did.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I mumbled, keeping my eyes downcast and moving to the side.

"What are you doing here Nova?" A harsh voice growled at me.

"I- I came to run with the pack." I whispered, stealing a glance upwards. I quickly looked back down when I realized it was Reggie standing above me. He was the Alpha's son, and therefore the future Alpha. He towered above me and his large frame blocked the early morning sun from me. Reggie and I were the same age, but he liked to think he was older than me. His dirty blond hair was styled messily on top of his head and his bright green eyes looked down on me. He was dressed in dark blue basketball shorts and a white t-shirt. I swallowed a lump in my throat and looked up at him again. "Alpha Don said that I could run with you. He said it would help me get stronger." I said a little louder.

"Well, I'm leading the run today." He said gruffly.

"I can keep up." I piped up, surprised at the courage that burst into me. He stepped forward so he was directly over me, but I held my ground.

"I highly doubt that. Now, run along home runt. Nobody wants you here." He said darkly, using his Alpha authority. I looked over at my brother for help, but it didn't come. He stared at his shoes as if they were the most interesting thing in the world at that very moment in time.

"Now." Reggie growled. I sidestepped away from him and started running home, trying not to cry. I just wanted to be a part of the pack. I wanted to just be like everyone else. I hadn't shifted yet, but Alpha Don continues to tell me that I shouldn't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Is there?

I sniffed and threw the door to our house open. I slammed it shut and slid to the floor, tears cascading down my cheeks. I don't understand. I'm smaller than most of them but that didn't mean that I was any less capable of keeping up with him. I sat there for a long time. Thinking about what Reggie said.

"Run along home runt, nobody wants you here."