CHAPTER TWO: DETECTIVE ANDREW WELLS

A week later, I got a visitor in my office. It was about midday, and I was about leaving my office for lunch, when my secretary poked her head around the door.

'Mr Grace?'

'Yes Sheila, what's up?'

'There's someone here for you.'

'Can't it wait?' I said, quite irritated.

Sheila came in and closed the door behind her. She was a middle aged lady, with long black hair that usually went all the way down to her back, and a Spanish tilt to her tone. She had a motherly air about her, probably due to the kind of Victorianesque clothes she always wore, and the old fashioned spectacles that perched on her nose. She also had an old silver chain with a strange pendant – I'd always wondered where she'd gotten that from.

Her usual cheerful face was serious.

'It's a policeman Mr Grace.'

'Oh!'

I was silent for a moment, wondering why on earth a policeman would want to see me. I couldn't remember having any unpaid parking tickets or anything of the sort.

In the end I shrugged, and nodded to Sheila.

'Show him in. Let's see what he wants.'

She gave me a searching glance, and I raised my hands in denial.

'I haven't been a naughty boy Sheila. You'd probably spank me first!'

The police man came in. He wasn't in uniform, so was just dressed in a simple black jacket, with trousers and shoes to match. Even though he was in plain clothes, he still looked like a cop.

He had a smile on his face. A good sign.

I rose to shake his hand, and sat back again, an enquiring look on my face.

'Good afternoon Mr Grace. My apologies for the intrusion. I'm sure you're quite busy?'

'As always, but it's definitely not a problem,' I replied graciously. 'Please do take a seat.'

'Thank you very much. My name is Detective Andrew Wells, of the Rockeville Police Department. This is just a courtesy call, nothing serious.'

I relaxed a lot when I heard that. Now I could put a genuine smile on my face.

'You're welcome Detective. Do you want anything to drink?'

'No, don't bother. I'll just get this over with and get out of your way. And if you don't mind, please call me Andrew.'

I leaned back on my executive chair, and looked into his eyes.

'What do I owe this honour, Andrew?'

'Last week, you and your family were victims of a robbery attempt on a convenience store along Will Adams street. That is correct?'

'Yes, unfortunately. Your colleagues actually came around to my house and my wife and I gave statements about what happened. They also informed me that the suspects had been apprehended.'

Detective Wells nodded in total agreement.

'I'm truly sorry to be bringing up this issue again. It's a cut and dry case, but I just wanted to get a personal picture of events myself. I know how painful it must be to go through all this again, but can you just walk me through that day again? '

I heaved a deep sigh, and looked at Detective Wells. He seemed a friendly man, and he had an honest air about him. I looked at my watch.

'Well Andrew, I'll go through this once again, just because you seem to be a very nice person. I'll have to do it over lunch though, because I have a very important meeting coming up. If you wouldn't mind joining me, then you can also catch a bite also.'