Chapter 1

The lovely cover on the side is by @072010. It's beautiful, thank you so much!

_____________________

Chapter 1

I catch myself glancing back at Jasey’s seat again.  I really need to stop doing that or else things could get ugly.  The gym teacher was already fired for having sex with one of the exchange students and they are on high alert for any other inappropriate relationships.

I click the button on the remote and the next slide pops up.  “Who remembers what a phylogenetic tree is from the homework last night?”

A couple kids raise their hands, including Jasey.  “Um, Miss Nelson?”

The whole class stares at here.  She clears her throat and her face turns red.  I nod at her to go on.  “Well, they’re used to show changes in gene sequences and show evolutionary relationships between species.”

I smile and nod.  “Very good.  Now, how can tell me what it means when there is this dead end in a branch?”

~~~~~

The bell rings at the end of class and everyone starts packing their stuff.  Jasey is the last one in the room.  She has her head down on the desk.  I get out of my chair and walk over to her.  I crouch by her desk and nudge her shoulder.  She lifts her head up and squints her eyes.  “Mason?”

I sigh.  “It’s Mr. Emerson at school.  Are you alright?”  Jasey rubs her eyes and yawns.  She puts her notebook and pencil in her backpack.  “Jasey?”  I put my hand over hers.  Jasey freezes, hesitating for a moment before yanking her hand away.  “Did I do something wrong?”

She snaps her head to me and gives me a deadly look.  Looking away, she takes her stuff and runs out the door.

What was that?  Is she really that upset about the kiss?

I start to think.  I did just run away from her and not let her talk to me.  She obviously still has feelings for her ex and I went and kissed her.  Even the little bit of time our lips were together was enough to make my dick twitch.  I can’t get my mind off of her now.

“Mr. Emerson?”

I look up only to see Blake, one off the seventh period study hall kids.  “What?”  I sighed.

“Why are you sitting on the floor over here?”

I look around me.  Sure enough, I am on the floor next to Jasey’s desk.  “Where would you prefer me to sit on the floor?”  That earned a round of laughs from everyone.  At least they’re minds are off of me being some lunatic who is getting turned on by a sixteen-year-old student.

Standing up, I brush off my pants.  “Everyone do whatever as usual.  Just don’t be too loud.  You know what happens.”

Oh, do they know what happens when they are too loud.  Seventh period study hall had the tendency to be really loud.  One day I got so fed up with them that I literally tried everything to calm them down.  I screamed over them and made them silently read from the AP Biology textbooks and write about what they read, even if they had other homework or weren’t involved.  There was only the one time that they went that far, but they know now to stay within my boundaries.  Students like me, probably because I’m the closest teacher to their age, but also because I let them have more freedom than the other teachers do.

It’s nice being around nice people and avoiding the personal questions so easily.  The students aren’t supposed to know about my personal life too much, so all the off-topic conversations we have are normally just about them.  I have excuses not to tell them about my life, which is the way I like it.