Scars and Sea Salt

Jamie

I woke with soft snores in my ear. I tried to sit up but there was too heavy of a presence on my head. I grabbed my hair and slowly pulled it from under Scar's body. She shifted and whimpered as I sat up, making her fall from my pillows to the bed. I picked her up, placing her back onto the pillows. She drifted back into her dead sleep. I shook my head at her and walked into the hallway, feeling the coolness of the house. I sighed and went downstairs to see my dad getting ready for work.

"What's up, dad?" 

"Meeting. I hate meetings. And worst of all, the area. It's a bunch of construction. You know how I hate that. But I guess it's for the best. Not to mention, my queens will never have to work a day in their lives." He said, kissing my forehead as I fixed his tie.

He looked in the mirror and sighed. "You have the hands of your mother Jo." He looked down and sniffed. "I miss her. You look just like her. And you've grown to act like her too. You take care of the people you love, making sure they know who you are and that you love them." He sniffed once more and kissed my forehead, leaving for the door, announcing he'll be back tomorrow.

I thought about what he said and sighed. I went into the kitchen, preparing to fix dinner for Scar and I. I almost said Jas, but Jasmine and I aren't quite on good terms. I pulled out the salad bar and grabbed the bag of lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, Italian dressing, ranch, dried cranberries, and apple juice. I fixed Scar's salad, knowing she'd be down an minute after hearing Daddy leave. Once I finished her plate and placed it on the place mat on the table, I fixed my plate and set it on the table. As soon as I turned the TV in the kitchen on, I heard little whimpers that just hurt my heart. I ran up to my room to see Scar soaked in sweat and squirming in the bed. She cried and soon became red. I quickly took off her shirt and her pants, leaving her in her "Days of the Week" undies. She continued to cry, so I picked her up and she calmed down a little. I took her downstairs and sat her in her high chair.

"You hungry, baby girl?" I asked. She nodded and opened her eyes. She began eating and I made us a cup of apple juice to share.

She took the first sip and we continued to eat and watch SpongeBob. She would scrunch her nose whenever Patrick said something stupid. Once we were done, she got up and went into her room. I followed her as she went through her drawers. She pulled out one of Daddy's big black shirts that he used to use when he would clean the car. She ran up to me with her tiny legs and handed me the shirt. I helped her put it on and she walked past me with her head tiled high. She grabbed my hand, walking me up the stairs. She went through my drawer, pulling out my dark grey basketball shorts and my matching sports bra. I dressed in that and followed her to the door.

It was silent moments like these when we both remembered who we were and really took a good second to grow the hell up. Although Scar never actually had to grow up, her 3 year old mind would turn into a 5 year old mind and she could become more mature than most adults. I'd remember who I was, and all I had been through. And a sudden high would take over.

I grabbed my lighter and a notebook of secrets about Jas I'd keep when I needed to let my feelings go. I followed her to the shore as we sat by a fire pit. The beach was private, leaving us by ourselves with maybe 5 other people. I would say 7 but I felt my imagination pulling a trick on me.

Jasmine

Jinniah and I sat on the roof of the car. After I told her what happened and about the anger I had towards Jo, she decided we go to 'pops' place. But of course, Jo comes here when she's upset and her car was already here so we've just been outside, on the other side of the hedge where she couldn't see us, staring at the beach and thinking about old memories of Jo and me when we was kids.

But sitting on the roof of the car, I saw a tiny familiar figure and an even tinier figure. Scar held a cup in her hands as they approached a fire pit, sitting beside it. Jo looked around, her eyes fell on me for a minute but the sun was already  down, so she could't really see me. Her and Scar sat together and Jo laid her head on Scar's stomach. Soon there was a giant blaze and you could hear them laughing. I sighed.

"You miss her already, huh?" Jinniah interrupted my thoughts and I felt my heart drop back down to my stomach. 

I nodded and bit the insides of my mouth. "I just feel like she was so hurt for nothing. But then I got mad, and I got mad for nothing. And when I thought about what all I really did, I got angrier with myself than I did her. Like honestly, if she promised to never replace me wit a nigga and we made plans that she knew I loved, especially loved to do with her, and got everything ready for her and had it all special and she not show up. I'd probably beat the hell outta her. But the simple fact that she hates to have her time wasted, just because of what happened to her mom. Wasting even one minute of your life to wait for someone else, that time could've been spent enjoying life. Now you gotta go to sleep with wasted time and when you wake up, you might not be on earth. You might be in Heaven. And with what happened to her mom, her mom waiting for us to get out of school at the diner and we gotta hear from security that there's been an armed-robbery with no survivors. I should've just told Nisha, Nikia, Naiomi, Nalah, Neranda, shit, what's her name, to just leave, we wouldn't be not talking and I wouldn't want to just kiss her and hold her so tight. I hate when she's sad. And sad because of me. Like, Jinniah, I need my ass whooped." I didn't realize how red I was and the hot tears coming from my eyes until I felt the wind blow. I feel like I just broke her heart. And broke my own damn heart in the process.

------------------------------------

It's here!!!! So are you happy now? Are you happy now?! Thank you to the fam that commented and voted. I'm glad y'all love it.

But what y'all think bout Jas talkin' bout huggin' and kissin' Jo?

Scar and Jo's little sister moment?

And Jo's mom? What about Scar's mom?