Chapter Twelve

"It's been much too long since we've done this."

Raine had barely walked through the door before he had his arms wrapped around Emily, pulling her in close. He dipped his head down, easily finding her already-waiting lips.

"You're right," Emily agreed a couple of minutes later, coming up for air. "It's been practically forever since last night. Or was that this morning? Did we even sleep?"

"Are you mocking me?"

"Never." She grinned. Her arms snaked up around his neck and she tugged his head down to hers again. Raine guided her two steps backward, until she was leaning against the wall in her apartment's foyer.

"Remind me," he said, tracing her lower lip with his thumb. "Where did we leave off last night?"

The desire in his eyes told her he remembered just as well as she did. Emily slid her hand under Raine's shirt and let her fingers roam the taut muscles of his abdomen.

"With both of us wearing a lot less than what we are right now, if I recall," she told him.

"Less clothes, you say?" Raine murmured. He ran his hand along her chest. "Why was that, again?"

"Much better to show you, don't you think?" Her hand drifted to the waistband of his jeans. He drew in a breath and she chuckled, then gave him a wicked grin. "And I will, after we eat. I promise." She moved her arm away, letting it fall back to her side.

Raine let go of the breath he'd been holding. "You're killing me. Can I talk you into a preview before dinner?" He circled his arms around her waist and pressed his hips to hers. Feeling him against her, her mind drifted back to the night before when she'd felt his warm skin against hers, instead of all these pesky layers of fabric.

"Incredibly tempting," she said, as Raine nibbled her earlobe. "Dinner's already cooking though. We might end up burning the place down if we keep this up right now." She reluctantly stepped out of his embrace.

"Details," he teased her.

Emily reached for his hand, noticing as she did that he was holding a small white envelope. "What's this?" She took hold of his wrist and raised his arm up to get a better look. Her name was written on the envelope.

He waggled his eyebrows, whisking his arm away. "Something I meant to give you last night. I got a little sidetracked."

"What kind of something?" she asked.

"You'll see. You're not the only one who can play the 'after we eat' game." He placed his other hand on the small of Emily's back and guided her out of the foyer and down the hallway.

"Wine?" she suggested, as they approached the kitchen.

"And after all that just now, the lady still wants to tempt me with an aphrodisiac," Raine announced to an imaginary audience. "Which means, absolutely."

She grinned at him. "Pinot noir or merlot?"

"Pinot noir." He set the envelope on the counter. "What are we cooking?"

"Lasagna. It's almost ready." She opened a cupboard and pulled out two red wine goblets.

"Anything else on the menu I can help with?"

She handed him a bottle of wine and a corkscrew. "This. The wine always ends up with pieces of cork in it when I open the bottle."

"No promises I can do any better," he cautioned. Despite his words, he expertly uncorked the bottle and poured each of them a glass.

"So what is that?" she asked, glancing at the envelope again. "It has my name on it."

"It does." He put the cork back into the bottle and then looked at her, his face not giving anything away.