Chapter Two

Why is my bed so hard. Everything came back to me slowly and realized what happened last night. I groan and move, my muscles popping in protest. I must have been in this position for a few hours. That is rare, vampires don't usually faint. And to pass out for that long, it is almost unheard of.

I look out and saw its daylight. Joy... But why aren't I burned, I went unconscious in the underbrush, which would block out most sunlight, emphasis on MOST. I look up and I'm not in the underbrush by the road, I'm in a cave!?! How did I get here? Was it HIM wanting to save me so he can finish me off later? Must have been, there was no one else who could have done it, who had the motive to save me, if only it wasn't for some sadistic reason. It could have been my angel, but why would he save me again, why did he save me the first time?

I shook it off. It doesn't matter who brought me here, what only matters is if I can leave.

I scan the cave for any weapon for self-defence. As I'm doing so, I see that the cave was surprisingly spacious with plenty of wide crevices that I could fit in. At that moment, I remembered that I have my bags with me and my weapons. I grab the long dagger, carefully.

I look at the shadows of the forest landscape from the safety of the cave. The shadows indicate that it was around noon. Well I'm going to be stuck here for a while.

I walk to one of the crevices, squatted, and faces the dagger point outward to fight off any attackers. I stood still, not even breathing.

-Hours Later-

I had relaxed the point of the knife. It was just becoming twilight. I'll be leaving soon. My packs are next to me. No one's come all day, like I even expected that. I arrived here unharmed, but I need to leave quickly.

I left after it became dark enough. I walked our unharmed unseen. One problem though, I was hopelessly lost. I knew how to get to my next town through the woods, but I was way off course. The sun went down in the west, and I needed to head east. I twisted on my heels and started walking east.

I only was walking for a few minutes when I heard the sound of footsteps. My heart pounded loud enough for the visitor to hear it. Maybe it's just like that with me.

I don't recognize the footsteps. I hid behind a tree, dagger ready for attack.

The mystery man came around the corner, I sigh in relief as a human rebel came into view. I nearly sigh in relief, which would be unfortunate in this situation. I stay as still as possible. Maybe he'll not see me. Humans are attracted my movement, and I blend in with the scenery well enough. Now I see the usefulness of camo. I can hide from rebels easier. I smirked at the thought.

I don't recognise him, so he must be in the Captain's Unit. Intresting, I overestimated them, or maybe this is a first. I would shrug, but no movement.

The visitor left soon enough. That means I'm close to my old unit, because there are no others around here. There area few big cities, but they are dozens of miles away. Doesn't sound like much, but with no cars, would you like to walk all that way?

I have to be more careful for now on. I'm heading east, so after a few tentative moments of staring at the sky, I found the north star, and went back on track. The way I'm taking it is so it's parallel to the base, but far enough away that I'll be safe, hopefully. At least for a few days until the camp is in the distance.

Gosh... A few days.... That's all that stands in between safety and capture is a few days. In a few days Mitch's child will be born hopefully. In a few days the visiting unit will be gone. Maybe I could go back afterward. I shouldn't, I've spent two years with them.