Chapter 2

I was about sixteen at the time, same as Tammy and Chuck. The thing is, I was a lot smaller than them. I've always been real scrawny, and therefore real fragile. I always felt safer sitting in between the two of them.

We started down the road, going well above the speed limit. I was used to it, Chuck always drove real fast when we were on long, empty roads.

Chuck used to race this truck and he brought me along with him a couple of times. After a driver rammed us off of the track Chuck stopped bringing me.

I never really cared to pay attention to where we were cause it never really mattered, but I can imagine at this point we were on county road. Up ahead was a tiny store and as we pulled up Chuck announced that he was gonna get some gas.

Tammy stayed in the truck but I followed Chuck inside the store. As he payed for the gas, I grabbed a coke from the freezers and gave the cashier the money.

Walking back out into the heat I grew instantly thirsty, chugging down half of my soda before we even reached the truck. I scooted inside next to Tammy and finished off my soda pop while Chuck finished pumping the gas. As we pulled away from the station I carelessly dropped the glass bottle into the floorboards and crossed my arms, satisfied.

This was probably the point that we reached quick hill road. There was nothing wrong with it, but the fact that the chainsaw massacre had occurred here... well, I was always iffy about it.

Time was flying by. A few hours had already passed since we left home, and the ride down quick hill road would take about an hour, even at the speed we were going. By time we reached the end of the road the sun was starting to go down.

Chuck did a u-turn and started heading back the way we came, but this time he was driving at a normal speed. Tammy and I laughed at this pathetic speed and I slapped Chuck's arm in amusement.

"Speed up, you dummy!"

Just as Chuck started to press down on the gas pedal something shook the truck, accompanied by a loud thump.

"Did something just jump onto the truck?" Chuck asked, his question chilling me to the bone.

Tammy and I were frozen in place, and I could see that Chuck's eyes were wide. He was just as scared as us.

"Treasa, look back there," Chuck ordered, but I shook my head quickly.

"Fuck you!" I hissed.

I cast a quick glance at Tammy. I think she was holding her breath.

"Chuck, you look!" I suggested.

Chuck cast a glare at me then slowly turned his head around until he was looking through the sliding glass window into the back.

He let out a growl of frustration, returning his gaze to the road. "There's definitely something back there, but its hiding under the tarp."

Tammy had finally let in a sharp breath and turned to us. "What do you think it is?"

At that moment loud bangs became audible, the sound of whatever-it-is making it's way closer to us in the bed of the truck.

"Treasa, look back there. We need to know where it is." Chuck pleaded once again.

"Fuck you!" I spat in reply.

Chuck let out an annoyed sigh, and I gave in.

"Tammy, let's both look at the same time on the count of three." I could see Tammy nod. "One... Two..."

As I screeched the word three, we both whipped around at the same time.

But I wish we hadn't.