Chapter 4: Spine

SPINE

Two hours later a great deal of events had occurred. Firstly I had made it up to the spinal column of the monstrosity. It was made of huge solid metal plates with ridges of darkened glass which were probably semi-transparent but unless the metal monster decided to leave the cave I wasn't going to find out. The length of the creature was massive, probably five thousand feet or so of back length. It had taken fifteen minutes of slow but steady walking to reach the great doors which separated the head of the creature from the rest of the spine. There I had done something completely random which had paid off brilliantly. I had taken my shortwave out from my belt pouch and had attempted to call up base with it. Something amazing had followed this: I got a real human response.

'This is Lance Corporal Adam Sanderson, speaking from atop the exoskeleton of this hulking behemoth. I am currently at the rear entrance to its cranium, requesting immediate orders. Do you copy?' I asked the device. As I opened the pouch to push the device back inside, it began to squawk. I picked it up and rammed it up to my ear.

'...received, Lance Corporal. This is Major Griffin and we would like to congratulate you on your progress. We need some ideas of what is going on inside the construct's head, which we are currently code-naming the COLOSSUS. One of its eye sockets moved about three hours ago, and there have been several pneumatic releases. We fear for your safety if it comes to life with you inside. Anyway, to more important matters, any more information you could provide while we still have contact would be appreciated.'

I gave a quick account of everything that had happened. I had got to the point where I was describing the journey I had while I was heading upwards to this place. Then I remembered an important thing I needed to tell the Major. 'There are probable living sentient beings within the COLOSSUS. The upper sections are covered with a grid of corridors big enough for humanoids far larger than us to navigate. The machinery and tools on board tell us that they use hands or grabbers unless they have other methods of activating their devices. And I think I have found a rail and lift system for fast access. Its inhabitants must make use of this, so I must remain careful to avoid detection. I don't know but whatever is on this hunk of scrap just doesn't seem friendly.'

I closed off the communications after I had asked the Major to pass on the situation to the rest of the team and the old marshal. It was probable that they had been listening in in the first place. I had a hunch that I had another way into the headpiece of the COLOSSUS. It was important that I found out what was going on within, for it would be the easiest way to find out just how hostile and threatening its dormant state was to our existence. Fortunately I had a rather intelligent plan as to how to get inside. Now I had to walk back to what I presume was some kind of railway.

A Cylindrical rail-car with a conically drafted front was positioned on a turntable in the middle of the room. Tunnels extended either way, following along the same level as the corridor. I had worked out what three of the sliding switches functions were. Two of them controlled the rotation of the turntable and the other released the rail-car onto whatever track it was facing or reversed it back onto the table. I spun the car round so it faced in the direction of the head of the COLOSSUS. I dropped down onto the rail-bed, careful not to touch the rails themselves as they may have been electrically charged. After crossing the first set of rails a shrill high pitched buzz was audible from the right tunnel. I began to run, jumping over the lines, when on the second line a carriage blasted out of the darkness, straight through the station, missing me by inches. Things on board the COLOSSUS were slowly beginning to awaken even more.

After that lucky escape, I hauled myself up onto the opposite platform. I clambered aboard the carriage, careful not to touch any of the controls. I worked them out quite quickly; there was a five speed joystick, ranging from reverse to speeds only safe on the straights. There was an emergency stop brake and a signal for activating the turntable ahead of the train to stop and turn. I pushed the carriage into the third setting and it began to power out of the station, barely making any noise inside at all. The carriages were fully electronically powered, presumably from the tracks, so I was glad I had never touched the now obviously powered rails.

Four minutes plus a small amount of speed adjustment and I found myself going through an enormous door, which had slowly slid open after putting the carriage into immobile. I eased the carriage up to speed after passage, careful not to go too fast along these complex, winding tunnels.