Chapter One

June 2008

You would think that after nearly two years of living with out my mom, I'd be able to go a week without crying. Apparently not. I calmly lay in my bed, absolutely bawling. It was nearing the anniversary of her death, and I wasn't taking it too well.

I reached for the wakie-talkie on the table next to me, bringing it to my parted lips to speak very quietly to my best friend who I knew would be listening on the other end.

"Liam?" I choked out a sob, flicking some of my thin blond hair out of my face.

"Grace?" The fuzzy voice of the only person I'd ever want to talk to right now came through.

"Code red." I mumbled. Whenever we needed to talk, that was the code we'd use.

"Come over as soon as possible, I've got movies and loads of popcorn." I smiled, he always knew exactly how to cheer me up.

"Be there in five." 

Liam was the only reason I was able to even function properly in Wolverhampton. Even though I've been here ever since my mother died, I still miss my small hometown in Canada. 

Another small tear escaped my eye, I quickly wiped it away.

Just go see Liam.

I told myself, 

He'll make everything better 

He always did. Liam was like some kind of miracle worker, even at the tender age of fourteen. I hopped out of bed and pulled a shirt over my pyjama bottoms and made my way out the door, careful not to wake my sleeping Grandmother in the room next to me as I ran down the stairs.

I locked the door and walked a mere thirty second time period before reaching Liam's house. We're neighbors, so 'code red's are no big deal.

I climbed up the rose and ivy entangled wooden ladder, that must've been at least fifty or so years old, leading up to the peek of his house. I knew this place like the back of my hand, out of the three windows Liam's room was the first one, closest to the ladder. 

I cautiously scampered down the slick roof of the Payne house, knowing one slip could lead to a massive fall and many broken bones. But seeing my best friend was worth it. 

I tapped on the glass of Liam's window, having it open within a second and me to be enveloped in his embrace. A few muffled cries escaped me and he rubbed my back soothingly,

"Sshh, it' okay Grace..." He whispered in my ear as we slowly rocked back and forth, my head rested on his shoulder. I slowly began to settled down, my hysteria fading. Liam had that effect, he calmed me. 

"I promise I'm never going to leave your side until you feel better, alright?" He said slowly, I nodded my head. I knew what he was saying was truthful. He pressed his lips to my forehead, lingering there for a moment before pulling away and smiling down at me,

"In for a film?" He smiled down at me. He'd always been taller than me, even when we first met at seven years old. I had visited my Grandmother only twice before my mom's funeral, before I was whisked away to England. 

"Toy Story?" I asked. His dark brown eyes shimmered at the announcement of his favourite movie. It was one of the many interests we shared, no one else understood the emotional connection we had with this movie, everyone found it comical how we would freak out when the title came into conversation. 

"You know me too well." He grinned from ear to ear, jumping onto his bed and grabbed his laptop. I watched him intently as his brow furrowed in concentration, his thinking face. The screen illuminated his features in the dark room. Due to the gray weather, rain drops began hitting the ground. The cool breeze came from the window, sending a chill down my spine.