8:31pm

Chapter 2

8:31pm

After arriving home, I decided to do some chores and work on the homework I had for US History and finish the chapter of the Great Gatsby that was assigned for my American Literature class.

Time flew by and my father still hadn’t arrived or even called, kind of made me worry. So I decided to send him a text.

Hey Dad can I order pizza? && What time are you coming home? Xx

Me and my dad are really close especially since my mother isn’t a part of my life anymore , it’s not like she died but since her problem she had with alcohol . I haven’t seen her since and I’m sure she doesn’t even worry about me.  A couple minutes passed and my dad replied to my text.

I have some great news, I’ll be home soon. Just stopping buy at Alfredo’s pizza. Xx

My dad had probably said yes to the job opening they had, and I’m happy and excited to hear the news. Like he was bringing some pizza I decided to clean the last dirty plates and put together the dining table. I was done with the plates when I felt my phone vibrate it was a text from my best friend Jose.

Hey losers haven’t txted you in a while. Guess what? Starting a tour with Alex Goot in July. You should come to a show! Xx Jose

Jose is a guitarist for a punk rock band called King The Kid , last year they had a tour not to big but it was awesome . That’s where I got to meet Jose and the rest of the band.

I heard the front door open seeing my dad’s large figure come in through the living room with two large pizza boxes and a bag.

“How it went?” My dad placed the bag and boxes on the dining table as I grab some paper plates because I didn’t feel like washing plates.

“Great”.

“So? What happened?”

“Well they have three jobs opening for bodyguards for a band that is already on tour”.

“And?” My dad washed his hands as I opened the first pizza box, pepperoni.

“ I said no to the opportunity”.  This made me really confused.

“I thought you had good news? Dad really? Why wouldn’t you take the job?”

“Because the band tours for all the year if I had said yes I would have to leave first thing tomorrow and I can’t leave you alone.” He grabbed a slice of pizza taking his seat.

“And that means I get to start my vacation early”.

“NO”.

“What Karmen?”

“You should have taken it dad! It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity! I could have stayed with Call or with my grandma. I only have like 23 more days of school!”

“No, I can’t leave you with Call . I had one person in mind to call, but”.

“You should have called! I don’t want me to be the reason you didn’t take the job!”

“I was going to call your mother”. Why? Why would he call the person that doesn’t even know me to take care of me? Why would he call that woman that almost put my life in danger? And how would he call her? He doesn’t know her number or where she lives.

“Why would you call her dad?”

“She contacted me last week, asking if she can come over to meet you.”

“Why didn’t you tell me anything?”

Because I told her she didn’t have to come over , but know I feel like I might need her to take care of you for the while I’m gone at work”.

I had to think this fast, I really wanted my dad to get the job. But, I don’t know how I feel about meeting my mother.

“Fine”. The living room got quiet as I got a napkin and cleaned my hands.

“Call your boss and tell him you take the job”.

“Are you sure Karmen?”

“And then call Ann and tell her she can come and take care of me”. I was mad, not at my dad but on the idea of my mother coming over. I haven’t seen her in a long time and I kind of didn’t want this day to come. But, this will help my dad and his work.

I stood up and went to the counter to grab the home phone and placed it next to my father’s plate. He glared at it and then grabbed it as he began to dial, I just wanted to go hide. And off I went to hide inside my room.