Chapter 2

The kids are on Thanksgiving break and if anything, Nick and I are fighting more than ever. It got better for three days, and then school started and we had too much alone time.

It's Black Friday and I'm just upset.

Nick and I used to get people to babysit and we'd go shopping, but now we're staying home.

Everyone knows now that we're fighting, and my enire family, and his, has tried speaking to us, nd to me alone, but nothing is helping me.

Honestly, I'm just causing pain for everyone.

I'm upstairs, alone, watching the rain pouring down.

The kids are still young enough that if I left, they wouldn't remember me, and if they did, it wouldn't be good things.

I should let Nick take care of them.

I take a deep breath.

My eyes burn with tears at the thought of leaving, but I just...I can't keep hurting everyone.

I grab a notebook and a pen.

Nick,

My hand is shaking and tears are dripping on the paper.

I can't do this. It's done. There's nothing left of us. You deserve better. The kid deserve better. I can't keep staying here and hurting everyone. When I said a few months ago that I should've stayed with Caleb, I didn't mean it, but I'm so fucking stupid and bad for you that I'm starting t think I'm right. I'm leaving my phone here so you can't track me.

I'm sorry it had to end this way, but I knew if I told you anything, you'd try to stop me, and while I don't want to leave, I have to. I'm just hurting everyone. I want the best for you and the kids, and that's not me. They're young enough that they won't remember me, and if they do, it won't be good things anyways. I want you to find someone amazing. I'm so sorry.

-Eve

Everyone is outside playing with the kids, so I shove all my clothes into a suitcase.

I stand at the back door, my arms wrapped around myself, and I set the note on the counter, and put the engagement ring and wedding ring on top of them.

I've had divorce papers hiding in our room for months, so I just set them next to it and leave my phone on the counter, and I make a point to leave it unlocked.

I quickly add a P.S. to the note and tell him all the usernames and passwords for the bills because I know he won't remember them, and then I grab the keys to my Cadillac Escalade and leave.

Instead of immediately leaving town, I stop and get my license plate changed so there's no way he can track me. I go to the bank, leave the account so it's only Nick's after taking out a million, leaving him six million, and then I get back in the car and head out of town, going to the place I belong.

NICK'S POV

"What's Eve doing?" Dad asks. "I haven't seen her all day."

I hate talking about us.

I hate it, because I know we're really fucked up.

"I don't know." I shrug.

"I'll be back guys." Holly says. "I really gotta pee."

She heads inside.

Three minutes later, she comes back.

"Nick?" she asks.
"Yeah?"