The Letter In The Bottle

Rogers Beach, Southampton, NY, United States of America
January 10,2016

I watched as the blue ocean waves crashed into the shore. The sound of the laughter and people running across the ocean's hot sand. The sand was only hot because the sun had been on it for what it seemed forever when it had only been hours. The clear blue skies had some smoke in it from grills of the people making lunch.

And what was I doing as all these people were having a great time? I was writing a letter. Sure, It may have seemed lame, but I wanted to know someone out there gets to see my last written piece I wrote on the Earth. Before I'm gone at least.

I sighed. I knew very well what I was going to do after I put the message in the ocean. I thought about it for a long time and finally made my decision.

After 16 long years on this cruel world, I wanted to leave for good and forever. And I was going to after I wrote and shipped the letter off. My biggest fear for the letter was it would go off into the wrong hands.

I pushed away the thought. If anyone ever found it it wouldn't be as if they would want to try to meet me. Even if they did try to meet me, it wouldn't be like I would still be here. By the time someone finds my bottle, It would be like I never even was alive. The only proof of me being alive would be my grave.

If my dad even gets me a grave.

I shuddered at the thought. What if my dad didn't even get me a grave? He had to right? If he didn't there goes my proof.

I picked up my number two pencil again and my plain sheet of white paper.

I thought really hard on what I should say in the letter. Maybe too hard to wear the person who found it would've thought I was just fine. It took myself a while until I decided to give out my basic personal facts like my name.

The rest came naturally onto the letter. I wrote the letter like I never wrote before. I used my best handwriting that all my past teachers would have thought it wasn't my handwriting at all.

I folded the letter into a rolled form. Before I put it in the wine bottle, I kissed it like it was my last kiss I would ever do.

It is my last kiss I would ever do.

I picked up the cork laying on the hot sand and put it into place so it would be completely secure. No water would get in this glass bottle and damage my master piece.

I got up from my beach chair and threw the bottle in the ocean with all my strength. I watched as the bottle flew through the air and landed farther than I expected. The bottle soon began to float on the water in the opposite direction.

I packed my stuff up and looked one last time at the place I loved most. This would be the last time I looked at the beach and heard the sound of seagulls chirping. It was my last time for a lot of things the past couple of days, but I didn't think it was sad. I didn't think it was just the end, I thought of it as a new beginning.

And with that I ran off to the last place I was alive on the Earth.