5 - The Things That You Do That Redefine "I Like You"

Lauren hated that she had to stay at school and wait for Dinah to finish making out with her boyfriend. The Polynesian had asked her for a ride home, and even if it was on the other side of town, Lauren agreed without much protests. It wasn't like she'd be busy texting Camila. Apparently, that was too much to ask.

In an attempt to avoid the stupid couples in the campus, who apparently have all the time in the world to canoodle with each other, Lauren stayed in her car. Florence and the Machine was loudly playing in the background to distract Lauren, who sat in her ancient machine. She was practically belting the lyrics to "Never Let Me Go" while her mind was up in the clouds - the cloud that had Camila actually replying to her.

The younger girl had apparently been messing with her head and somehow, Lauren was horrified of the future. There was a very, very high possibility that she would develop feelings for Camila, and if the Camila would consent, they' be dating.

What would happen then? What would happen when actual profound feelings would surface and Camila suddenly stopped replying? A twist in her gut conveyed the dread Lauren felt at that thought despite the louder voice in her head, telling her that Camila would have a valid excuse - just like last time.

Apparently, being an un-clingy friend was hard.

And with that though, Lauren's phone rang. She looked at the time on the dashboard, finding it to be 3:53, which meant she had been waiting for Dinah for almost an hour. She was just about ready to pour her heart and soul out into a passionate text message, displaying her grievances when she noticed the name and the successive chiming of her notifications alert.

I'm not lying to you.

I promise

People at school call me Karla.

But my family calls me Camila.

My middle name

I just felt like you needed to know the 'me' that my family does because as far as I'm concerned, I'm the realest version of me in front of them.

I'm out to them but not to the school.

I didn't think they all needed to know.

I don't care about high school drama.

And maybe, I didn't want you to know that name because that would take you a step closer to finding me.

My phone honestly died

I'm an idiot. I didn't pause the song I was listening to and I went to class, and you know, iPhones.

I'm sorry that it seemed that I lied.

I'm so sorry, Lauren

Forgive me?

Please?

Well, the feeling was mutual as far as the whole feeling like an idiot business. Lauren found that she might be a little too skeptical, and a tad bit of an overthinker and quite the pessimist. She wasn't as bad with Megan, when her hopes were held low and chances of being with her best friend was at a whopping zero - it was an insult.

Camila was just incredibly big on words and acts of...maybe not love but close to it that she felt some sort of a rush from her despite her reluctance to. She feared that Camila will simply abandon her when she has finally won her heart. The way Camila composed her words was quite unnerving to Lauren and the former made it seem that she had accepted and treasured every single one of Lauren's flaws and insecurities.

Meanwhile, there she was, Lauren Jauregui in her rusty machine, finding nonexistent meaning within the lines.

It was embarrassing and she could feel that twinge of worry transform into that of being mortified as the very emotion kissed her cheeks, creating an allergic reaction in the form of a blush - a deep crimson, and very palpable blush.