Hot Cocoa Kisses

About two weeks had passed since the Garden Tour along with all of the disastrous events that occurred. Even though it was apparent to Rio that Chase wasn't planning on coming back anytime soon, Neil still stayed most nights on her couch. She tried and tried to convince him to go back and sleep in his own bed, but he refused. He said that he was able to sleep more soundly knowing that she was safe during the night than he would sleeping in his own house.

She couldn't deny that she liked seeing him every morning, so she quit urging him to leave and instead began to just enjoy his presence. This particular morning she and Neil were both excited, today was the chicken festival and she was hoping to take home first place. She had been raising her first chicken, Feathers, for over one year now, making her the perfect candidate for the festival.

As much as Neil wanted to visit the animals as he did nearly every morning now, he knew rumors would circulate if people saw the festival judge leaving a contestant's house. Instead he quickly kissed Rio goodbye and wished her luck before heading to the festival grounds to help Dunhill set up for the day's festivities.

Rio finished her morning chores in record time, most likely due to the nervousness she felt about the contest. After grabbing her bag and Feathers she excitedly made her way to the festival grounds. After handing the bird over to Dunhill and signing up for the advanced class she walked over to where her friends waited.

Allen was, as always, the first to greet her, "Rio! You look marvelous today, as usual. Though it's to be expected since you'll want to look good when you accept your prize today."

Felicity chimed in with, "And you know, it helps that the judge is her boyfriend. That's even more reason to look good!"

Rio blushed happily at their comments. Since standing up to Chase and becoming more confident in her relationship with Neil, she had become much better at accepting her friends' compliments. "Thank you! It's getting colder now, but I still wanted to look nice, so I figured this would work!" She wore a long sleeved black dress that ended mid-thigh with thick maroon leggings underneath for warmth. She had on knee-length black boots as well as a black pea coat and a matching scarf to tie the ensemble together.

Tina looked thoughtful before commenting, "You know Rio, you're like a completely different person now! Before Neil, you were never into fashion and you always just seemed a little...childish, I guess. I don't mean to sound offensive, it's just an observation!"

Rio nodded, not in offended in the least. "It's true Tina, no offense taken! I was lacking a lot of things before I confessed to Neil now I feel like I can be myself! I still hold a bit of that childishness within me, but I think Neil kind of balances that out."

Rod smiled, happy that Rio had found someone. He was even more happy that Neil found someone, especially someone like Rio. "Love does strange things sometimes!"

Allen nodded his head, "Agreed."

It was then that Dunhill announced the start of the festival and the friends made their way to their usual spot at the front of the crowd. When the advanced class was announced Rio felt like a cage of butterflies had been released in her stomach. She wasn't as confident in this festival as she was earlier in the season. For some reason, chickens just didn't take a liking to her like other animals did. They were so fussy!

After a long period of inspection, Rio was disappointed to learn she had only received second place. She was still proud; after all, she had only been doing this for almost two years! Her cousin in Mineral Town hadn't started consistently winning her town's festival's until she had at least three years of experience. She congratulated the winner and hurried off to find her friends.