Chapter I

I drive down the street with my stereo booming and my my car vibrating. I park my car in the parking lot and I turn off my stereo. I turn of the engine and open my car door. I grab my keys and get out of my car. The stainless steel on the car grabs my reflection as I walk away from it. I run it the store grabbing a basket. I carefully pick out some stuff that my mother need to make some dinner. I make it to a section where I see a group of people picking out masks. They were probably getting ready for the purge. I grab my basket and walk past them. I noticed that one of them had a uniform from a university I got to. I was only a 3 feet away from them since I needed some spices. I noticed one of them was looking at me. I let my hair fall in my face from making him look at my face. I grab the spice but I dropped it because i was nervous. Very nervous. I saw a shadow and that shadow picked up the falling spice bottle. He handed it to me but I didn't look up a him I just took it from his hands and walked away from him. I walked up to the cash register and waited in line. It was only 4:24 in the afternoon. My mother must be worried about me since I was suppose to return at 4:00. I place a piece of my hair behind my ear and hear talking behind me. "You know it's very rude to not thank me." Said the boy.  

"Uh, thank you." I said not turning around. I could hear him laughing. "What's so funny?" I asked.  

"You're shy. I get it." He said. 

"I'm not shy I just don't talk to strangers on the Purge." I said. I walked up and placed my groceries. I put them in bags and paid quickly. I grab the bags and walked out the sliding doors. I struggled taking my bags to my car when an unknown hand took some bags.  

"Need help?" Said the same boy. 

"Sure." I said not even bothering to look up. I took out my keys and opened the trunk. I placed my bags in there and took the rest of the bags from him. "Thank you again." I said. 

"No problem." He said and he started to walk away. I closed the trunk and I opened the car door. I climbed in, closing the door and starting the engine. I began to back the car when I got a call. I ignored it and drove out from my parking spot. I turn up my stereo singing to my favorite song The Antidote. Listening to the booming bass calms me down as well as the guitar strumming.  

I drive up my parents street and see my dad hadn't arrived yet. I park my car in the drive way and take out the bags. I open the door to the house and walk into the kitchen. "Oh Hallie thank you for running to the store for me." Said my mom. 

"It's fine mom." I say. I began taking things out and handing them to my mom. "What do you need help with mom?" I asked. 

"Yes can you get started on the salad?" She asked. 

"Of course mom." I say. I start chopping up some carrots and egg plant. I was distracted by the job my mom gave me when I heard someone on TV talking aboth how great the purge is. I never agreed with the purge since it was cruel and it is bringing our econamy down. We both watched it when the door opened. I shut off the TV and heard my dads voice. 

"Honey I'm home." He said. 

"We're in the kitchen." Said mom. I watched as dad walked in with the bouqet of the blue flowers because they agree with the purge. He walked up from behind mom and showed her the flowers. "I'll go put these in a vase and put them outside." She said. 

"How's my favorite girl?" Asked dad. 

"I'm great dad how about you?" I asked. 

"Well I have exciting news but I you'll have to wait till dinner." He said and walk out.  

"So mom what did Charlie do today this time?" I asked 

"Well he snuck up on me but using Timmy his robot." She said. 

"This is why Charlie is my favorite." I said. 

"So how's collage?" Asked mom. 

"It's good and where did you get those cookies?" I asked. 

"Grace our neighbors gave them to us. You remember Grace right?" She asked. 

"Yes I remember but I feel that there's something wrong with that woman." I said. 

"Okay you are right but I want you to get your sister." Said mom. I walked up the stair case and I hear my heels click on the floor. I was about to knock on the door when I heard talking.  

"Zoe are you in there?" I asked. 

"Yeah, what do you need?" She asked. 

"It's almost time for dinner." I say. 

"I'll be there ina couple minutes." She said. I walk down the stairs again and set the table. I lookat my phone as it rang. It was an unknown number. I muted my phone and place it in my bag. I look at the clock and it was only 6:00. Only an hour left before the purge begans.