Chapter Eleven

Silverpaw crouched outside of the camp, pricking her ears for sounds of clumsy ShadowClan warriors. She pushed away all thoughts about how Minnowtail would hunt them down once she found they were gone. I'm doing this for my Clan, she thought. 

"The coast is clear," she hissed. Dawnpaw emerged from the bush, looking bored and unappreciative of the information.

"I could've told you that,"she said, "Without all the tasting the air and whatnot." Silverpaw ignored her and trotted through the trees, silver tail waving. Dawnpaw was beside her, pricking her ears. Silverpaw heard the rushing of the river has the two sisters came closer to it, and stopped as Dawnpaw paused in her pace.

She lifted one paw and motioned to be quiet. Silverpaw and Dawnpaw were silent together, until the orange and white apprentice broke the silence.

"I can hear the battle," Dawnpaw announced, and flattened her ears. "Come on, we have to be careful."

"I better go first," Silverpaw said. "Orange and white isn't very good spying material." Dawnpaw snorted, but she let her sister lead the small patrol. Silverpaw crouched into a hunting position, and slowly crept through the forest. When the RiverClan cats cleared most of the trees, and could see the river, Silverpaw saw and heard the battle. She stopped, and Dawnpaw bumped into her. Both apprentices peered at the battlefield in front of them like curious owls.

ShadowClan and RiverClan cats were scattered everywhere, in the water and out of it, and some even battling on the ledges of rock that were suspended over the foaming water. Rings of blood showed in the shallows of the river, and Silverpaw could see that many rocks were slick with crimson.

All of the cats had wounds on them, and Silverpaw could see that Emberstar was already bleeding heavily from scratches down his flank, yet he leapt into battle again and again, screeching among the ranks of warriors. Silverpaw looked back at her sister. Dawnpaw was pressed to the ground, ears flat and eyes screwed shut.

"It's horrible," she said. Silverpaw nosed her sister to her paws. She wasn't going to let Dawnpaw know that she felt the same way.

"How about we hide in those bushes over there," Silverpaw said, pointing her nose to the line of scruffy vegetation that was about five fox-lengths for the bank of the river. "They won't see us," she said. 

At least I hope they won't, she thought. The two sisters bundled together underneath a row of prickly holly bushes. Silverpaw's pelt stood up in spikes as she listened to her clanmates screeching in pain.

"We shouldn't have come," said Dawnpaw. Silverpaw looked back at her, and the orange and white apprentice stared at her mournfully.

"Why not?" she asked.

"It was when you were in ShadowClan," Dawnpaw said. She let her gaze drift to the battle they could see through the branches. "I was with Tanglebrook, and a-a StarClan cat came to me."

Silverpaw pricked her ears, secretly afraid that Dawnpaw was going insane. "Are you sure? It could've been mist rising from the river or something." Dawnpaw bristled, almost as spiky as the holly bushes they sheltered under.

"I know the difference between a large grey cat with stars in his paws and eyes than from mist," she spat.

"Okay," Silverpaw said, inching away from her sister. "What did he say?"

"He said that both of us have a great destiny and it was not our time to die." Dawnpaw's blue eyes stared into Silverpaw's green ones. "Do think it was an omen telling us not to take part in this battle?"

Silverpaw shrugged, still thinking it was mist Dawnpaw had seen. "We'll ask Aspencloud, okay? Maybe she can figure it out." Or give Dawnpaw some poppy seeds for shock, Silverpaw added mentally, a purr rising in her throat. A shriek interrupted both sisters from their thoughts.

"You can't attack a medicine cat!"

Silverpaw looked at Dawnpaw and hissed, "Aspencloud's in trouble!"