Day 2

Angelina

The sun was still hidden beneath the horizon when I woke up. I have a private room. My bed was able to be customized after my 50th day here and I was allowed to have examined and "tested" books with me. I was given a radio and television with a DVD player on my 100th day, but I had to be monitored when using either device.

I did get a premature level up for helping a young boy calm down while he was having a panic attack on my 32nd day here and went from level one to three in a couple of minutes, where as it takes most patients weeks to months to level up. The higher the level is, the more privileges you have. You get to stay up later, you get to eat more foods- not that I eat much anyhow-and best of all the nurses trust you.

It's nice to be able to have items from your contraband when ever you like and get a new book from a nurse that hasn't been "tested" when others don't. I am a model patient; and, that's what it means to be a level three. Being a level three, I can eat breakfast whenever I want, and because I wake up before the sun on most days, I get to eat before everyone else.

The floor is always cold in the morning, so I have painfully managed to train myself into sleeping with socks on. I just having those damn things on my feet. I stood up and stretched in front of my window, admiring the early morning sky. I slipped a bra on under my shirt, trying to avoid revealing my skin to the the icy air. I pulled over my drawstring-less sweatshirt and scuffled my way to the front office to get my contraband.
"Good morning, Angelina!" Ms. Shanan chirped. She has the 7pm to 9am shift so she is always buzzing in coffee. "Good morning, Ms. Shanan! May I have my tooth brush and toothpaste, please?" I said as cheerfully as I could manage. "Right away." She turned to retrieve my contraband. I over heard Mr. Daniels talk to a male patient on the other side of the bolted double doors.
"Hey, Javier."

Javier

I'm a level one. Have been from the day I got here, probably will be when I leave. You don't have to be a high level to leave, you just need your phycologists to approve you. But I am a good kid. I stay out of trouble and do what I'm told, I just don't want to do those stupid level sheets that take people days to do and then don't even advance in levels for another week, it's pointless. But I have a hook up with my buddy Daniels. He lets me get my contraband whenever I want and he sometimes will let my watch some TV with him. I usually wake up early because I'm from Massachusetts, and we're an hour ahead of Colorado and in the 194 days I've been here I have not change my sleeping schedule. The boys side of the unit is always so hot so I usually get out of my shared room when I wake up and chill with Daniels.

Today Ms. Shanan was attending to a girl patient on the other side of the bolted double door and my curiosity was incredibly active at the moment.
"Hey Javier." Daniels fist bumped me. "You're up earlier than usual." He added. "I am? What time is it?" I looked for a clock. "5:44 brother. You know, there's only one patient who ever wakes up as early as you."
"Really, who?"
"Just someone from the girls side of the unit." She brushed it off. Could it be her?

Angelina

Could that be him?