Prologue

-Eight months earlier-

"How long are you going to be overseas, daddy?" The tears started to flow as it finally came to reality. My dad was going back to the military, and may not make it back this time.

My dad took a years off after a huge accident in Afghanistan. Well, he was off on a mission with his crew when an explosion detinated. The outcome was pretty crazy: two people were found dead, three people, one being my father, suffered severe blood loss and broken bones, the rest managed to go through it without harm.

Anyways, once they were sent back the boss, James Randon, suggested to the three to retire. He went through the entire speech of how it was their decision but he recomanded it. My father being the hard worker and determind man he is of course didn't retire. Instead he took a year off to become more fit and heathier for the job. He had his work out for around 5 hours everyday and only ate what was commanded for a soilder. He had no junk food at all for a year, he still says he never will until he can no longer serve. Anyways, a year later the boss aloud him back on and he was to serve once again.

"Nine months, Sunshine," he gave me a reassuring smile and embrassed me into one of his good ol' bear hugs.

"I'll miss you," I tried to wipe away the tears and stand my compossur, the best a 17 year old could.

"And I'll most defaintly miss you too," he wiped away the tears that were starting to form away.

"You better email us whatever chance you get," I sounded as firm as I could.

"I will sweetie," he said letting go of me and bending down to my hieght. "Now you take care of mom and Daniel."

"Of course I will, daddy," I forced a smile as he said his good byes to my mom and brother before I was engolfed in a family hug. My mother and I in tears at the event and my brother not really sure what was going on, I mean he is only 5 after all.

We watched as he walked down to board his before take off. I found myself wondering how the next nine months would play out. Would I be frightened at every second about how my father was doing? Or would I have friends to comfort and take my mind off things? My dad was my hero and I don't want to remember him from this event, the last time I would've talked to him and I was crying. I most defaintly would be afraid for my dad, I could never be sure what he was up to.

"Bryn, come on, I got the tissues at home," my mom gave me a warm smile. We'd have the occasional cry session, all though that may sound extremely depressing, it wasn't. It made it easier copping knowing I had my moms shoulder to lean on.

"Yeah, I'm coming," as we walked towards the parking lot to leave for home I witnessed a few other families going through what I had to go through; the goodbye.We all weren't sure if that was our last time, of course it was hard, but it was also life of having a relative overseas. We'd all miss and worry about them, but we had to think, maybe they will get back safely, don't fall.

My mom turned the key in the lock and we made our way to the tissues. It was a long night, but I'd see him again, if it was in nine months, or heaven.

__

(A/N) thank you soooo much for reading! It means a lot, please do keep reading, I have so much planned for this story!! It's my first ever teen fiction, I've done a few fanfics but nothing else. I will treat this as my baby, hello baby Bryn. lol.

And, just an fyi, my keys are pretty strange, they act up quite a bit, so excuse if there is any errors I didn't get while editing. :)

And also, this is just a prologue, I promise the chapters will be much longer!

Happy reading!

-Nikki xx