Chapter 2

I was running to the sound of Victory by Yolanda Adams the next morning. I was going my route through Grandview. As I passed the antique store I watched people step off the bus at the station. I loved watching their faces looking around as they slowly fell in love with the town just like I did once. I watched as two boys stepped off. The first one had black shaggy hair and green eyes. He was wearing a white t-shirt and a leather jacket with worn blue jeans and black chucks. The next boy was...Ryan!

   "Umpf!" I tripped over a bench and landed on the ground.

          "Ouch." I groaned as I turned around over onto my back.

          "Are you ok?" I opened my eyes to see the first kid standing over me.

          "Rylie?!" He asked with a shocked face and a slight smile but I had no idea who this kid was.

          "Who...how...how do you know my name?" I know I had seen Ryan but who was this kid.

          "Rylie?! No way!" Ryan was suddenly standing beside the mystery guy looking down at me with astonished eyes.

          "Ryan is that really you?" I asked standing up and brushing off my running pants. All of a sudden I was enveloped in a bear hug I had missed for three years.

          "Rylie! I missed you so much! I can't believe I finally found you. I've been looking for you for a year now. I never thought I'd find you." Ryan was starting to hug me too hard, but I didn't mind.

          "Ryan I missed you too! I’m so sorry I ever left you with...him. I should have stayed and protected you." Ryan the pulled away but kept a hold on my shoulders. He had a very stern look on his face.

          "Dent ever apologizes for running. I wanted you to run. I didn't want you dealing with that anymore. Plus look at me now. I got out and I'm fine." Ryan always knew how to calm me down.

          The guy next to us cleared his throat reminding Ryan and I that he was still there.         "Oh yeah sorry Luke, kind of forgot you were there." Ryan said putting an arm around me turning us towards the guy named Luke.

          Luke...where did I know that name? Luke...Luke. I looked at him intently and I guess he noticed because I heard him say...

          "You don't recognize me huh?" He looked at me with a small smirk. Luke! I knew that smirk anywhere.

          "Lukey!" I said practically jumping on him for a hug. This was our best friend before I ran away. He knew everything about Alex and had helped us through a lot. He even helped me talk Ryan out of suicide once as a kid. A kid, wow he was anything but a kid now. He was my age and tall.  He was also tan and muscled. This was not the scrawny little boy I once knew.

          "Yeah, but no one calls me Lukey anymore." He said pulling away. I laughed knowing I would never stop calling him Lukey.

          "But of course I'm aloud to call you that." I said smiling and returning to Ryan's side. Luke smirked knowing all too well he would never get me to call him just Luke. Ryan then pulled me into another hug.

          "Man, I missed you! How have you been these past years?" Ryan asked pulling away once again. I felt cold without him holding me. Even though it was the middle of the summer. Well I've been here for two years now. I hopped around towns for or about a year and then came here on that same bus." I pointed to the bus they stepped off of five minutes ago. "Then when I got here I fell in love with the place and then I met Leslie. She and I clicked instantly and her parents gave me a job after her school. When they figured out I was on my own they offered me a room at their house. Now I’ve been there ever since. They are like family now. You’ll love Les too! She is amazing she has been there through a lot with me. Especially with the…nightmares.” I mumbled the last part but they heard me and the next thing I know they had gathered me in a hug.

          “I’m sorry bunny!” I smiled at my old name Ryan and Lukey had given me years ago.

          “Guys can’t breathe.” I coughed out and they let go mumbling sorry as they did.

          “Come on guys you have to meet mom and dad.” They both looked at me like I was crazy. “What? I told you they’re like family. They told me to call them mom and dad.” I smiled at them while pulling them towards my house.

          “Oh and boys don’t fall in love with Leslie please. She is gorgeous but try to contain yourselves.” I may have not seen them in years but some things never change.

          “Pfft never…is she single? For me of course. Luke here is totally in love with this girl already.” Ryan said dodging a punch from Lukey. Why did that sadden me. I should be happy for Lukey. He was in love that’s a good thing…right?

          “Shut up Ryan!” Ryan said trying to hide the slight blush that had crept onto his face.

          “We’re almost there guys.” I was starting to get slightly nervous. What if mom and dad didn’t like Ryan and Lukey or vice versa. No, I shouldn’t be nervous they’ll love each other.