Chapter 2

I'm always going to tell you to read the A/N at the bottom kisses xx

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the end of the day I figured out Mr. Rentailor actually taught three subjects and today's class was English. At least English was my best subject and I gained enough courage to answer most questions. Mr. Rentailor seemed to love me for that. He told me separately when everyone was leaving to go back to their dorms that I should consider joining the book club at the academy. I'm not sure where he got book club from doing well in English but I wasn't complaining. I like reading. I spent a lot of time reading thanks to the whole no social life. He told me I could find the bulletin sign up in the main office for all the clubs. Most students were in more than one apparently. I decided to check it out since I had to go down to the office anyway. On my way there, I was stopped by Alia without Alexi.

"Hiya," she greeted with a huge smile. I smiled back and nodded. I didn't know whether to stop walking and talk to her or keep going. Before I could decide she said, "I like your tail. It's so much better than mine. See," she turned slightly to show me a puff ball of fur at her backside, "mine is so small, like a rabbit's. I wish I had a long luscious tail like yours." I figured out she was quite the talkative type. I smiled meekly at her talking. I wish I had her tail.

"Thank you for the compliment," I said quietly and stepped to the side slightly, prepared for her to go on about her business. She side stepped with me, folding her hands behind her back and leaning forward slightly.

"We don't get new kids often. My brother and I have been here for six years, so we known quite a bit about this school. Like that scientist you were talking to earlier . . . ,"Alia gave me a knowing look like I was up to something. I was miffed by her accusation. He ran into me is all. And wasn't he like an adult? "Every girl has had eyes for Travis since he showed up last year. He's the big man's apprentice. Too bad Travis is is oblivious to everything but his work. Which, when you think about it, is the people after him." Alia never stopped talking and I had no idea what to do. I didn't want to be rude but I really had to get my schedule. I opened my mouth numerous times to say something but she kept on talking. I couldn't get a word in and, eventually, I frustratedly sighed and tried to leave.

"Hey! You could've said something!" Alia protested as I started to walk away. I grumbled, "I tried," and kept walking. She caught up to me though and fell into step with me.

"Where are you going?"

'The office. I have to get my schedule for the year," I answered. Alia was getting on my nerves. She decided she should escort me. I'm positive it was just so she could talk. I didn't mind listening to her but when she forced me to say things, I got uncomfortable. I wasn't good at socializing, obviously.

On the way to the office she told me all about where she used to live. The people there didn't like her and her brother and almost ran them out of town. Their parents barely liked them and gladly sent them to the academy and never looked back. Basically, Alia and Alexi were abandoned at the academy. Alia didn't seem at all bothered by that. She didn't like her parents or anyone that looked at her as different. All she wanted was to be treated like a normal person. Now she's more than happy at the academy and hopes to get a job here to help the others to come with tails. She pointed out to me that all the workers were tailless and thought that wasn't very encouraging to the younger students. She wanted to help create confident beings with tails. I applauded her passion. I could never be that brave.

Alia was in the middle of telling me about a young girl she met in the school that got taken out by her parents for some reason when we arrived at the office. I entered and was hit with a musky smell. I remembered it from earlier and knew it was the desk lady's perfume. She awas an elder woman so it was understandable. They always smelled musky. I told her about my schedule and she said she'd be right back and disappeared into a closet behind her. I turned around to find the bulletin board Mr. Rentailor told me about next to the door. There were so many papers with sign up lines or take-one slips at the bottom. I found the book club one and saw there were only three other people in the club, one of which was the British boy I met today. I decided it wouldn't hurt to sign up and did so. Alia commented, "So you're a reader? Not surprising; you're so quiet. I liked reading but not so much I'd join a book club." I smiled at her in response just as the desk lady came back out with a calender looking thing. She handed it to me and I saw it was indeed a calender which had my schedule.