To My One That Got Away

We were childhood sweethearts. We shared most of our childhood together. We were inseparable.

I could still remember our memories as if it was yesterday. We went to each other's house and can freely bond. Families attached to each other. Do you remember how I used to make faces whenever we get teased because you had a crush on me during elementary? I never really liked getting teased back then. You defended me when others degrade me. You accepted my flaws and capabilities wholeheartedly. There was a time when you knew I liked you and I knew you liked me but we can never be.

Unfortunately, things changed during high school. You left to be with your dad. I know that it would sound selfish if I asked you to stay. I know you wanted to be with him so badly. We were too young back then but I knew that it was definitely love.

You gained friends there and started to fit in. I couldn't say, "I miss you. Please come back." My pride told me not to because I hate and love you at the same time. I saw the pictures you posted and I got jealous when you had a girlfriend. I cried but I know that I don't even have the right. I'm just a friend back home.

You were the perfect guy. I remember how our elders told us that we would end up with each other because 'the more you hate, the more you love'? We would say, "eww!!" at the same time.

You came back last year after 4 years. You looked great. Puberty hit you well. I thought that maybe this was a sign that we could have a chance. Especially when you asked me to be your date during our prom. It was hilarious that you asked me when I shoukd be the one to ask you because you're not from our school. You made my heart flutter again. You were the perfect date. You acted like a gentleman and it made me fall for you even more. We even stayed up until 2 am just texting even though we have to go out the next day because we will bond before you leave again. The day passed like a blur to me.

I was shocked that you immediately had a girlfriend when you left. I was hurt because I assumed that we may be. I guess it was a wake up call for me. To finally realize that that there was really nothing there. All those early talks we had because it was night time there and morning here were just nothing to you but meant everything to me. I shouldn't have held on to something I wasn't sure of yet I still did.

I'm turning 18 now and you didn't keep your promise that you will be here. Yesterday a common friend of ours told me that you used to talk about me back then. I remembered you again after that but I knew that I was already feeling better.

I know we won't see each other again for years. I don't know if you will even remember me. Just know that I did love you but I know that you won't even love me because you already have her.

To my one that got away, thank you. Thank you for helping me grow as a person and helping me be stronger to face other challenges that may come. We may not have been a couple, but thank you anyway for those memories.

Love,
Me