Chapter 13

"Gunshots, shit! Norm was in there!"

Several men stormed the house. Some of them had muskets. Another one had a crossbow. Three of them held military grade rifles.

"Get Norm's gun Nick!" J.C hollered as he went out back to get his dog.

Nick did just that and a couple of seconds later they were all running down the street. The musketeers tried to shoot them, but they zigzagged across the pavement. Then when the other riflemen came, the group had already gotten out of sight.

Drake led them to the other side of Pueblo. He unveiled a hold that was covered by leaves and a square piece of wood. "Jump in, these are the sewers."

"How has it not flooded yet?" Asked Amy.

"I think some group uses it for worship or something, I dunno. Point is they maintain it and it's not flooded."

Nick aimed his rifle at Drake. "You're leading us to a possibly enemy faction's territory?"

"Put the thing down damn it you. They only go down there in the summer and fall. Just go in the frigging hole. Keep going straight until you see a large sign. One of the tunnels leads out the city directly in the direction of Galveston.

J.C and Remington went in first. Then Tony, then Amy. Nick stared at Drake. "Thanks man, for everything."

"No problem." Drake stretched out his hand. "I hope I see you soon Nick."

Nick shook it while feeling sad for Drake at the same time. "Are you sure you don't wanna come?"

"Got to find my dad first. Then I might go down here too. Not sure about going with you guys though."

"You have---"

They went over here!" Shouted a booming voice.

Drake pushed Nick into the hole. "Drake!" He yelled as the boy covered up the hole.

Gunshots, then silence. Nick didn't linger for long. He immediately caught up with the others. J.C appeared to be the only one with a flashlight.

"Never thought I would be in a sewer during the apocalypse. Sounds so freaking cliche." J.C muttered. "My M4's gonna get dirty."

"You take care of that thing like it was your baby J.C!" Joked Tony.

"Yeah yeah yeah, just keep moving. Look out for a big sign that says 'Galveston's over frigging here."

They were all walking a dry sewer ground. J.C shined his flashlight around a bit to see if anything was there. "Look out for anything useful. You never know when a sharp popsicle stick in your shoe might save your life."