Chapter 11

J.C hid his gear in a large, hollowed out tree. He took out a leather jacket, some gloves, a backpack, ammunition magazines, a protective gas mask, and a spare change of clothing. He put the new attire. He also took out a bow and a quiver filled with arrows. He gave it to Amy. "I thought I would need it for hunting if the old crossbow ever got lost. I guess you'll need it more than me."

"How will we---"

"I had a change of mind. I'll go with you the whole way."

"Why the sudden change Jacob?" Tony questioned.

"She reminds me of..." He rested his body on a tree.

"Of, Nora?"

"Don't mention her anymore. Let's just get the fuck outta here."

They followed J.C out of the forest. They were back in the abandonded ruins of America.

It took some time, but they eventually got to the highway again. None of them talked the whole way. They travled on highway, always alert, always vigilant for any signs of threats lurking by. Nick saw a sign on the highway that told people how far Houston was away from here. Some vines grew on it, covering what it had said.

They had to go through cars, millions of them. Nick wondered why so many people had tried to enter Houston. It would have made more sense if the other side of the highway was packed with cars instead.

J.C must have read his mind, "Houston, Used to be a big refugee center. I guess some people tried to escape the plauge and famine by coming here."

"Same thing my dad told me." Tony began. "So, any groups living in Houston that we should watch out for?"

"Not really. There is this religious cult group in downtown, but I wouldn't worry 'bout them. They don't got guns like we do. Something to do with them being unholy or something. Other then that, no. I don't think that there's much else. Maybe a few bandits added in with the mix."

They stopped. An 18 wheeler that was turned sideways blocked their path. "C'mere you three." His dog barked. "And you too Remington." J.C jumped to the other side of the highway. Remington followed closely.

They all climbed and jumped to the other side. Then J.C continued talking. "Our main concern is Page and his goons. They're more likely to spring up suddenly."

Tony focused his hearing east of him. "Gunshots. Sounds like some people are fighting."

"Yeah. They're using high-caliber rounds. Let's hurry. They could be hostile."

Nick looked at J.C. "You think?"

"Idiots! Why did they even bother to attack them!" The General ranted.

One of his henchmen spoke, "It appears that they've escaped. We found some tracks by the way. They were unconcerned with covering them."

"That's good." The General clutched his head in his hand. "We have to get them. It's the only chance of getting the supplies we need."

Page knew that that dumbass didn't catch them. He saw it on his own spy-cam. He would give the idiot one more chance before he would come himself and take over the whole operation. ''Houston eh?" He thought. "I think it's time to call in a few more mercs to raise my chance of catching them.

He contacted a friend with a hig-tech communicator. "Anyone there?"

A deep voice answered, "John? Is that you? It has been such a long time."

"Yes, it's me Norman. You have heard of the bounty that I put up right?"

"The two brothers? Yes I have. Never cared much for it though." Answered Norman.