Gilbert And The Eggs

I stood up from the rocking chair with a little difficulty. I walked to Jim's desk and sat down. The chair smelled like him. Look at me, 12 hours alone, and I've already gone off the deep end. I opened the drawers of the desk to try and find anything that could explain the last 24 hours of my life. The drawers were caked with old papers. Not 'old' technically, but there for a long time. One of them was a letter. It was dated earlier this year, about when we bought the house.

Dear Jimmy,

I hope you're well. Thank you for writing about what your father did. I'd like you to know that we are now firmly divorced.

I know you don't like me, Jimmy. You have good reason not to like me. I messed up your life pretty bad. The way I acted around Regina was totally wrong. She didn't deserve to hear what she heard. She's a good egg, that girl. A keeper. You keep her, Jimmy. Keep her forever.

I know you probably won't want to take care of me in my old age, and that's okay. Old folks can find shelters everywhere. Don't let me guilt you into doing something you don't feel comfortable doing. I'd much rather you spend any money you have on grandkids. I'm not asking you for much, Jimmy, but let me meet at least one grandkid. Let me meet them. You don't have to worry about your father being here. He doesn't deserve to meet grandkids. He's not welcome in this house anymore.

In case you're wondering what I'm trying to get at by writing you this letter, I'll tell you. I wanted to give you congratulations and warnings. Congratulations of Regina being pregnant, and warnings of Herbert. He's a dangerous man, Jimmy. He might blame you for me divorcing him. He's been taking heroin since I saw him last. If he finds you, he might kill your whole family.

Be careful, Jimmy. Please call me, so we can talk properly.

Mom.

I read the whole letter twice. Jim must have written her once or twice since we got married. I stood up from the desk and walked back to the phone. I dialed the number.

"Hello?" a tired-sounding voice answered.

"Mrs. Harrison?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's me. Who's this?"

"The other Mrs. Harrison. I've called to tell you something very important."

"Regina! It's good to hear from you. How have you been? How's the baby?"

"Well, I can't really ask it, but I'm doing fine. Jim and I were listening to it kick this afternoon."

"It? You haven't had an ultrasound yet?"

"I have, but I wanted to be surprised."

"You must be getting pretty close to the due date. How much longer is it?"

"About two months."

"Put the receiver up against your belly. I want to talk to my grandchild." I did what she said.

"How are you, cookie?" she asked. My nutty mother-in-law had a full conversation with my stomach.

"Okay, I'm gonna talk to Mommy again." Mommy. There's a name I'd have to get used to.

"It's a boy. I can tell. The chatty ones are always boys." she said.

"You've done this before, Wanda?"

"Not since my own two boys, but I guessed right on them. I should probably tell you that it doesn't sound like only one baby in there. It sounds like two or even three."

"It can't be. The doctor would have told us if there was more than one."

"Did you tell them that you wanted to be surprised?"