Chapter 1

Beep... Beep... Bee- I smash my hand down on the blaring alarm clock that sits on the mahogany dresser next to my bed. Stupid alarm clock. Why do you have to be set at 06:30 on a Saturday? Not to mention, the first day of Summer vacation. I aimlessly reach for my cell phone to check my text messages. After unlocking it, I see that I have 47 missed messages.

Great! A whole conversation to read through! Ha, I'm not reading all that. But when I check the last message, it says that it was sent at 00:28. That's crazy. I love my precious sleep, unlike some people. My friends occasionally give me shit for going to sleep early, but I just don't like to go to sleep late. It would be nice for them to wake up at the same time as me for once. They could see why I go to sleep so "early". I decide to give them a wake up call.

"Good morning, Dreamers!" I exclaim excitedly, yet annoyingly, into my cell phone.

A chorus of, "Ughs," come from the device. I can't help but laugh at this. There's reasons why I don't tend to go to sleep past midnight, and this is one of them.

"Lilly, go back to sleep, please," pleads my best friend, Hailee. She's Johanna Mason's daughter. She resembles her in a lot of ways, but she had to get her facial features from her father, because she sure as hell doesn't have Johanna's eyes.  

"I very much agree with Hailee. You need to go back to sleep, and so do we. What the hell were you doing up in the first place?" Asks Hunter. He's one of the Hawthorne twins. He's pretty much a replica of his dad.

"My alarm clock woke me up," I state quite simply.

"Then go back to sleep. It's too early for this," says Leilani, Hunter's twin sister. 

"As lovely as sleeping sounds, we have trip planning to do. We need to know what we want to do when we go to 7. Hails, what cool stuff can we do?" I say, quite determined to have the best vacation ever.

"Can we please discuss this later, Lilly? You guys don't even get here for another few days," Hailee tries to argue.

"No. Planning takes-" I start to say, but am rudely interrupted.

"Lilith Primrose Mellark; If you're going to be awake, please don't wake other people. Just go watch another episode of that show you like. You know that if I have to repeat myself I will personally drag you down the stairs."

"Good morning to you too, Mom," I say and go around her to go downstairs and lay on the couch.

"Okay, I'm back!" I say into the phone. No reply comes. "Hello? Is anybody there?" I ask over and over again. Joy, my friends cleverly hung up on me. They probably all went back to sleep.

I don't let it upset me too much, though. There's this new television app-thing called "Webflix". I only pay a couple bucks a month and get to watch a ton of movies and T.V shows. I even found this really old show called "Wolf Blood" and it's now one of my favorites. They all sound a tiny bit like Auntie Effie without as much peppiness.

So I put it on and when the theme song comes on, I sing to it.

"I promise that I'll keep, I'll never share, I'll never speak-" I sing. But my dad interrupts me on the third time.

"Honey, I'm going to make breakfast now. Do you want me to make you anything?" He asks as if it's a question.

"Um, yeah Dad." I reply with a semi-awkward smile. What? No "Good morning"? No "How'd you sleep last night"? No kiss on my forehead? Damn, I must've been really loud on my phone earlier. But at the moment, I couldn't care less.

I focus my attention back on Rydian and Maddie who are now holding hands. Oh my gosh. They're holding hands. Ahhh! The ship is sailing! I repeat, the ship is sailing!