Prologue

Deisy
I proudly took the championship ribbon from the ringmaster's hand and said a quick thank you. Who cares if Gisele beat me twice today already. I beat her in the championship. I followed Gisele's grey horse around the ring during the winner's parade, holding up the tricolored ribbon in the air, loving the cheers that followed.

Giving my big bay, Leap Of Faith, a.k.a. Duke, a hearty pat on the shoulder, I laughed as he tossed his head in the air. He knew when we won, and he became awfully cocky.

"Hey, stinks," I said, shorting the reins as we all started cantering. The wind swished by my ears in a peaceful way. Lightening my mood even more, if that's possible. After we all came back to the walk, I steered us away from the craziness of the crowd, and down to my trailer. My mom kept herself busy during the big shows, like today, taking pictures. But she normally just stayed in the truck reading, lending a hand if needed.

Pulling off Duke's saddle, girth, and pads, I rubbed his sweaty neck. He did a good job today, I couldn't be more proud. Next I took his bridle off and replaced it with his imported leather halter I ordered from Italy. To be honest, we're not rich, at all, and I saved up money for the halter for months. The plate that had his name carved into it gleamed beautifully. This was Duke's show halter for sure.

Duke immediately went to the grass below him, and I didn't fight it. He deserved it.

As I was sponging him off, my mom came out of the truck squealing.

"Deisy!" She exclaimed grinning like a maniac.

"What?" I said with a laugh not looking at her. Duke snorted and shook, spraying water onto me. I shrieked and giggled, "Hey!"

"I've won a trip to Europe!" Mom literally began jumping up and down as I looked at her like she was crazy. "It's this summer; your father is going to be so excited! We'll have to make you arrangements."

"I'm not going?"

She looked at me like I've grown two heads. "Of course not. It's called Couples Sanctuary for a reason."

Shaking my head slightly and resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I finished on the one side and switched to Duke's other side. The bucket was spilling suds everywhere and I grimaced as some soapy water splashed onto my leg.

"Oh this is great, this is fantastic!" No doubt about it, my mom was overjoyed. She raced back into the truck, probably to make a phone call or something.

At the same time, a girl lead her horse over. She was riding a average sized black Thoroughbred, who didn't look the most bit familiar to me. But the girl is all too familiar.