Chapter Twenty-Six

"What I'm saying Emma, is that there is a possibility."

There was a long pause as Emma's mind filled with the hows and whys. How could they possibly have made a baby together, they were two women after all. And why, why now? Was this something bigger? 

"Have you taken a test yet? Are you- are you sure?"

"No, I wanted to wait. I wanted you to be a part of this. We can grab one in the morning form the supermarket if you'd like."

"I think we need to look into this as soon as possible" Emma said nervously.

Regina took a seat on the lounge by the window, placing a hand on her forehead as she leaned on the armrest "we need to look into this? This isn't one of your cases at the station. This is a baby Emma!"

The blonde paced around relentlessly, burning holes into the floor "you think I don't know that? You think I don't know what kind of responsibility this is! We're not even married yet, and things are moving so-"

"so what Emma? Fast? Too fast for you? ...I'm terribly fucking sorry that the timing isn't to your liking. But I'm not sorry that we may have possibly created something completely unheard of in this world. I won't apologize for that, ever."

"Dammit Regina, that's not what I meant! I just, I can't do this! I can't be a mother!"

"Keep your voice down. Our son is sleeping."

By this point, Emma's heart began to race. She thought about spending her entire pregnancy in a single cell, completely alone. She thought of giving away her baby boy without even taking a glance at him.

Regina let out a long sigh, glancing at her soon to be wife "you can't keep doing this to yourself Emma. You can't keep doubting yourself. You can't keep doubting us. I'm just as afraid as you are, if not more. I was told that this would never be possibility, and I can't help but wonder what the price of this may be."

Emma began to sob in the crook of Regina's neck "I want this more than anything, you have to know that. But I don't want to let you down... I don't want to let my family down, our family."

The brunette held her close, matching their breathing breath by breath, falling into the calming rhythm before speaking.

"We can figure this out in the morning. Right now, I'd like to get some rest. It's been a long day, I'm exhausted, I know you're exhausted. Let's just get some sleep, okay?"

"But I-"

"Emma, please" Regina said with a defeated voice "let's go to bed."

Regina retreated to the bathroom, wiping off every ounce of makeup. She placed her favorite silky pajamas beside her before stripping down to nothing but bra and panties. Turning to the side, she admired her body, wondering what it would feel like as it began to change as life grew inside. She lovingly grazed her thumb across the caramel skin on her stomach, hoping, wishing that Snow's assumptions were right... no matter the price.