Chapter 2

Kate fitted in well with the team, both Tony and Gibbs were relieved that she took to heart the persona that Tony showed and didn't dig deeper for fear of what she would find.

Sometimes it made Tony sad that she hadn't bothered to look deeper, but in other ways he was grateful.

Then came Ari and Kate died.

Tony was devastated, he had been so close, if only he had looked harder he could have saved her. He had seen his dad fall apart as he took it upon himself to help him and help Tim McGee, the new probie on the team.

For a moment Tony had panicked when Gibbs had walked into the bullpen asking them if they wanted a drink. Gibbs had given his son the same look he usually reserved for home. The one that screamed fatherly caring.

Tim had been shocked, Gibbs was being nice. Tony immediately covered for him saying he didn't want nice, he wanted the growley, grouchy boss they all knew and loved. This wasn't Gibbs.

That night Tony had watched as Gibbs sat at his desk. He was loathed to leave him and go home as ordered. He had made sure that Tim had taken Abby home to make sure they were both safe and he stood in the bullpen watching as Gibbs sat looking broken at Kate's desk.

"Go home, Tony." Gibbs said not looking at him.

"Not without you dad, no one goes home alone tonight." Tony replied quietly.

Gibbs gave a halfhearted smile at his son. "I will be tonight, you need to stay with Tim and Abby."

"They'll be fine." Tony argued, "I could go and watch that Israeli handler of Ari's. Maybe that'll give us a lead."

Gibbs shook his head, "Not tonight."

"But..."

Gibbs held his hand up. "Go home son, there's a pizza in your freezer, take it out warm it up and watch a movie."

"Come with me?"

Gibbs shook his head. "I'll be fine Tony."

"You'll call me, won't you?"

It was late, there was no one in the building, but Director Morrow, who was watching the scene in the bullpen intently, unnoticed by either man.

Gibbs got up and pulled Tony into a hug, "Go home son." He ordered.

Shooting a worried look at Gibbs, Tony grabbed his backpack and headed for the elevator as Morrow walked down the stairs to join him in the bullpen.

"You sure about this Gibbs?" He asked.

Gibbs nodded, "Pretty much, I can't put them in danger, Ari is after me, we both know it. Tonight it finishes."

Tom nodded, although Gibbs didn't know it yet a lot of things were ending tonight.

"Tom?" Gibbs said, turning to the director.

"Jethro?" Tom Morrow replied in surprise at the man's use of his first name.

"If... If it doesn't work out, if... Make sure Tony doesn't go off the rails in revenge, tell him... Tell him it wasn't his fault, don't let him blame himself."

"You sent him home, Jethro, he know's it isn't his fault." Tom tried to reassure the man.

Gibbs smiled sadly, "You don't know my son."

"Be careful Jethro." Tom said and left the other man to his task.

Tonio stood with Marco looking over the body of a man. Tonio didn't know his name, he didn't need to. The word had gone out that this man was a rat in the family and Tonio had been proud when Marco had asked him to accompany him on the task to hunt him down.