XI

The morning sunlight was blinding, unforgiving. I was puffing slightly, still cooling down from my morning run. Before then, I'd gone to the gym. It was chest day today; Vanderwall had been away. He said something was up with his leg, so he couldn't make it. I thought back to yesterday afternoon and remembered how he had a slight limp. Still, I felt a little bad for the guy. Not because his leg was messed up, but because chest day was his favourite and he was probably suffering from gym withdrawals right now. I shook my head in amusement, picturing him whine about his gym problems as I took off my headphones. I went for a shower and changed into a grey shirt and cargo shorts. I grabbed my keys and wallet before driving off to Vanderwall's in my new-old Beetle. As I was heading off to what seemed like the direction of the beach, I remembered that I have never even been to his house before. I pulled over to the curb and fished my phone from the passenger seat and called him. I was sure he'd be awake by now.

It took him a couple rings to answer. "Zeke," he spoke, his tone irritated.

I smirked. "Little miss sunshine, aren't we?"

"Fuck off."

"You missed chest day."

"I'm hanging up now."

I chuckled, rolling my eyes. "Okay, okay, I'll be serious now."

"Well?"

"You missed chest day. What's really wrong with your leg?"

He sighed, not answering right away. "I was...I was out."

"What?" I asked, unable to comprehend what he was alluding to.

"Trouble with one of the guys I know," he muttered reluctantly.

I chose to ignore that fact. The idea of Vanderwall fending for himself during a brawl wasn't on top of my list of things to do. "So, uh, where do you live?"

Suddenly alert, he replied, "Why do you wanna know?"

"Because," I muttered like a child.

"I'm not telling you where I live."

"How can you ever say 'no' to this face?" I joked, hoping that his mood will turn for the better.

"Easily. Just watch me."

"Okay, okay, fine. So you won't tell me?"

"No, and that's a weak effort, Charlie," he said, his tone shifting to a more teasing one.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I shot you down once and you relented--weak effort. You need to grovel, but it's too late now, I'm hanging up," he explained and I was sure there was a smirk on his lips.

I rolled my eyes. "Meet you at SCÖÖP then," I said.

"But isn't Eli working today?"

His tone evoked guilt from me; I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with it yet. "Yeah, and?"

"You know how she gets when she has to serve us."

"I just want to see her."

"You saw her yesterday," Vanderwall pointed out and I pictured him with a blank expression.

"Please?"

After several seconds, he finally grumbled, "I'll see you at ten thirty."

///

I drove around for a while, not quite sure where I was going but determined not to stop. There was something about driving with no set destination that comforted me. Maybe it was because of the uncertainty. Things were too boring without a dash of uncertainty. An air of mystery didn't hurt anyone.