Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“I’ve done this before, why is it such a big deal that you needed to talk to me twice about this, Max?” I asked my boss annoyed. You see, after two years of doing the same thing, it’s annoying when you have to hear over and over again what the plan is, even though the plan barely changes. You get information, you search the target, you find the target and you eliminate the target. If you succeed, good for you but if you fail, that might just be your death note.

“Yes, you have. But this case is actually a bit different. The family that you’ll be staying at has children, now you have never had a family with children. But just so you know, only the parents know about the situation. Also it is very unusual for parents to take in people like us with our job whilst they have children. It rarely happens.” He said seriously. He was right though because this was a bit different.

“Why a family with children? I don’t like children, you know that Max. And now I even have to keep a secret too! What if something happens and the kid sees it, then what?”

“They were the only family in the area willing to take you in. And I know you don’t like children but it’s not really a young kid. In fact, he is older than you.” He said looking like a smartass. He should really get rid of that smirk before I did. But then I thought about what he said.

“He? Older? But… But that might be even harder to work with! How old is he? What is his name?” I was really angry now. I had to leave tomorrow and I’m only finding out about this right now. What a lovely boss…

“Yes it is a boy and he’s eighteen. He is a senior year in high school and you’ll be joining him. Oh, and his name is Drake.” He answered me.

“Joining him where?” I hope for him that he won’t say what I think it is.

“Well you know, high school.” He was smiling at this point because he saw my annoyance and anger rising. He was challenging me.

“You do know that I refuse to go back to high school, right?” I asked him slowly, trying to hold back because even though I would love to strangle him right now, he still is my boss. But I will not let him force me to go back to school. He can forget that! I hated school.

“I know, but that doesn’t mean that you aren’t going.” He leaned back in his chair, challenging me to do something. I couldn’t. He’s my boss and that made me powerless because without this job and him, I would be hopeless and he knew that.

“Fuck you Max.” Normally I couldn’t say this to him but I knew that he heard the sound of defeat in my voice because of his stupid smirk. “Which year am I attending?”

“Same as Drake.”

“Does that also mean that we have the same schedule?” Now I really didn’t want to be alone at that school so if I got to know him then at least I’d have someone to talk to on day one. But then again, I shouldn’t really be bonding with the family members.

“Yes.” He answered. Good.

“But now tell me Max, why do I have to go to school? Because to me it sounds like complete bullshit and will only make the job harder and will be more distracting.”

“I thought you would never ask!” He said happily. “You see, when you live with children in a family it is strange when you don’t go to the same school. But it also has to do something with your job. Your job is to find out about the assaults that have been happening because of new gangs, but you already knew that. The thing is, there have been rumors that there might be gang members attending the same school Drake is on. So that’s why you too are going to school.”