Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“I never thought that my parents would ever take someone in their home.” Was the first thing Drake said when we were driving to his house. Five awkward minutes had already passed and the fact that I’m not really a social person, didn’t help. 

“Um, yeah. It’s very kind of them.” 

“So why exactly are you staying with us again?” He asked me. Luckily I can lie really easily. “If I may ask that is…” 

“Of course. There has been an exchange and they asked me to go. And I, of course, accepted.” This was a part of the story that I was going to tell Drake. He really couldn’t know the truth so we made up a story and told the parents to stick with this. 

“Oh, okay.” He nodded his head in acceptance. I studied him a bit from the corner of my eyes. 

The way his fingers were tapping the wheel showed that either he was nervous or he was feeling awkward. Now I really won’t lie, I felt exactly the same. 

I’ve never been this nervous for a job. I don’t know why but this guy made the teenager in me rise and I didn’t like that idea one bit. I was a professional and pretty damn good at what I did so I sure as hell wasn’t going to let a boy ruin this for me. 

My phone started buzzing all of a sudden. I quickly got it from my pocket and looked at who was calling me. 

Max. 

“Hey you!” I said in an overly happy voice, trying to make it sound like a friend called me. 

“I take it that you’re not alone.” He said in a serious voice. He always sounded so serious on the phone. Well it was either serious, bored or just plain irritated. 

“That’s right. Yeah.” 

“Okay, well were are you then?”

“We’re on our way to the house.”

“Good. Now I want you to listen. Are you listening?”

“Sure, everything went perfect.” I saw Drake looking at me. I guess I’m not that good at making a conversation sound friendly. 

“You sound so stupid on the phone Sky.” I could nearly see Max roll his eyes at me. 

“Haha, shut up you.” I fake laughed. Even though I was faking the whole talking to a friend thing, Max knew that I was serious. 

“Look. Some plans have changed.” He said sounding serious again. Changed, again?

“Oh really, again?” I asked. This made me curious and somehow annoyed. Why couldn’t they just stick to the plan? 

“Yes. You know that you are the only one being put in families right?” He asked me. I made a sound of agreement. It was because they thought that it would be better for me. Don’t ask me why. 

“Okay. We decided that you needed someone around to help you so we asked Chris to team up with you. He is already there and lives in an apartment one block away from you. I want you to meet up with him tonight and talk business. You got that?”

“How wonderful! I’m so happy!” I exclaimed. Gosh, I sounded like a girl who was told that their best friend was going to have a baby. I saw that Drake looked at me quite curiously again. I smiled at him and pretended like everything was really ‘wonderful’. But Max sensed that I was being as sarcastic as I could. Not that I didn’t like working with Chris, it’s just last minute and made me wonder why I couldn’t stay with him. 

“Yes, oh so wonderful.” Max sounded quite annoyed. “I text you the address and time I gave Chris and you’ll figure the rest out yourself, okay?”