A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush

Aria's POV

"God, what took you guys so long?" Hanna asked as we made our way to school.

I was finding it extremely hard not to hold Spencer's hand as we walked; I had brushed mine against hers a couple of times already.

"We woke up late," I lied.

"What happened last night, Spence?" Emily asked.

Spencer shook her head. "My mom was just insulting me," she said. "Again."

"We said you shouldn't have to deal with her shit," Hanna said.

"Hanna!" Emily and I scolded in unison.

"It's okay, guys," Spencer assured. "Honestly, I can deal with it."

I looked up at her with sad eyes but she wouldn't look back at me. I gently rubbed my hand up and down her arm reassuringly, and she smiled.

Most of our journey was walked in silence, apart from the occasional muttering from Hanna about how much she didn't want to go to school, which was followed by a shushing from Emily. They looked so happy together: holding hands, frequent kisses on the cheek, one telling the other how much they loved them. I wanted to do all that with Spencer, but I couldn't in public. Even in the privacy of my own home, I could barely talk to her without being watched by -A.

--

We arrived at school pretty soon and entered the crowded hallways. People still stared at Hanna and Emily like they were carnival attractions, but they just ignored it. I didn't get it. What was so fascinating about two girls holding hands and kissing every so often? It wasn't like they were the main act in a freak show, so why did people look at them like they were just that?

I wondered what they'd think about Spencer and I dating: the straight-A student dating the small ditsy girl who had a reputation for sleeping with teachers. That's not something I would've liked whispered across the halls.

"There's no chance there could actually be two gay friends in a group, that start dating," someone whispered. "It's bullshit, and they're doing it for attention."

I laughed to myself. They thought there were only two gay friends. Oh, how very wrong they were.

I walked up to the girl who'd just said that, and the rest of my friends stopped.

"You realise people who are similar to each other tend to flock together, right?" I asked her with my most serious voice. Everyone had gone silent, and they were watching me.

She nodded confidently. "I'm just saying, there's hardly any chance of there being two gay -" She emphasised the word like it was disgusting to her. "- people in a group of friends."

"Yeah," I said. "And I'm saying people who are similar tend to flock together, even if they don't know they have the same characteristics. If you talk homophobic shit about my friends again, you'll be sorry."

The girl was a few inches taller than me so it was hard to be intimidating at this level, but I think she got the message.

"Come on, Aria," Spencer said.

I glared at the girl before turning round and joining my friends again. Noise slowly returned to the hallways as we walked to our first class: English. Great.

"Thanks, Ar," Emily said, smiling.

"Yeah, you didn't have to do that," Hanna said. "But yeah, thanks."

I was still seething about what the girl had said, but I put on a fake smile.

"Ignorant people need to be educated, and that's Aria's goal," Spencer joked, laughing.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said, my hands shaking with anger. "Tell Ez- Mr. Fitz I'll be late."

I quickly walked to the bathroom, passing lots of staring faces. I opened the door to find people leaving for class, which was great. I locked myself in one of the stalls and sunk down to the ground. Tears started pouring from my eyes, and I couldn't hold them back any longer.

I could never come out now, and neither could Spencer. That girl was clearly judgemental about Emily and Hanna, so she'd probably object even more to Spencer and I, and so would everybody else. Spence's reputation would be ruined, and teachers could hate us both. And would Hanna and Emily think we were copying them? No, they couldn't, they know no one chooses to be like this. No one chooses to risk loosing family; no one chooses to get harassed either verbally or physically for their sexuality; no one chooses to be like this, and yet I couldn't help thinking that people would assume that about me.

"Aria?" I heard a faint voice call out. It sounded like Spencer.

I sniffed but didn't answer.

"Aria, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing," I lied, wiping my eyes.

"Open the door," she demanded.

I was quiet for a moment, until I decided to get up and unlock the door. I stepped out and glanced at myself in the mirror: my eyes were red and puffy and there were dry tears sticking to my cheeks.

"What's wrong?" she asked me with desperate eyes, pulling me into a hug. "You don't have to go to English if you don't want to."

"It's not that," I said, pulling away. "I'm scared."

"What of?" she questioned. She rubbed her hand up and down my arm; my craving for her touch had finally been satisfied.

I started to calm down. "I can never come out," I said.

"Aria, the way you stood up to that girl was amazing. I bet you silenced some imbecilic morons, and I know you can do it again and again."

"It's too hard," I said. "And if people found out we were dating then you'd be... You'd be -"

"What would I be?" she asked.

"You might not have as many opportunities."

"And what do you mean by that?"

"Some people are denied certain jobs and colleges because of this stupid fucking homophobia!" I yelled. "And I don't want that to happen to you. You're so incredibly clever, Spencer, and I'd hate for you to miss out on things because of me."

Spencer stared at me with her jaw slightly open, her eyes wide in realisation. "I don't care if I miss out on things because of you," she said quietly. "I'd rather be happy and unemployed with a girl than be sad with a job and a boy I didn't love. Come here, Ar." She opened her arms and I ran straight to them, even though she was barely a metre away.

I sobbed into her neck, probably looking like more of a mess than ever. "You'd be better off in a good college," I said between cries.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," she replied.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"You should be content with what you have instead of reaching for something you might not even get," she said.

--

A/N

Quick author's note, but I just wanted to educate some people slightly in this chapter about sexuality. Idk if this made anyone realise that sexuality and gender aren't a choice, but I hope I did. Enjoy your day/night 😊👍🏻