chapter five: a color of importance

"Baa-chan."

The elderly Japanese woman looked down at the ten-year-old boy, his electric blue eyes staring up into her wise brown ones. "Yes, Aka-chan?" she acknowledged him.

"Baa-chan, it's Kemuel, remember?" the young boy pouted.

"I know, I know," his grandmother, Misato, laughed. "But did you know that it was I who gave you your middle name?"

"I-It was you?!" Kemuel exclaimed, astonished. "I thought it was Jii-chan. He seems like the type of man who gives their kids rough and tough names like mine."

Misato shook her head. "No. Your second name is all my doing," she confirmed cheekily.

"Kemuel Akane Belfon," Kemuel recited. "But why Akane, Baa-chan? I mean, I know it means red, but why?"

Misato laughed. It was an enjoyable experience watching and joining his passionate discussions about even the smallest of things. "Why not?" she answered. "It's my favorite color, of course."

"And...why is it your favorite color?" Kemuel asked. The sun was setting pink and orange over the horizon, a nice view from the park bench they rested themselves on.

Misato paused thoughtfully. "Well, let's see," she mumbled, tapping her chin. "In Japanese culture, the sun, with its violent heat and blinding brightness, is illustrated a bright red circle."

One of Kemuel's eyebrows raised, but he didn't say a thing.

"Worldwide, red is the color of stop signs, danger signals," Misato continued.

Kemuel was now frowning slightly, confusion evident on his face.

"And, within every person, runs an important substance of our being called blood. And everyone knows what the color of blood is," she added.

Kemuel's expression went from confusion to disgust. "Baa-chan! You named me after BLOOD?!?!" he cried out in disbelief.

Misato burst out laughing, clutching her stomach. "Aka-chan, you're hilarious!" she wheezed.

Her grandson's face darkened and his eyes shifted to the side. "I-I'm not," he protested weakly. "Can you at least give me a good explanation why you named me after blood?"

Misato nodded. "Well, Aka-chan," she began, "I named you after the color red because, to put it simply, red is the color of love."

"Love," Kemuel repeated.

"Love," Misato confirmed. "The sun gives food to plants, signals for a new day, shines light on all. It is indiscriminate and forgiving, in the way that it shines on everyone, good and bad, and shows a bright new day filled with more possibilities."

Misato cleared her throat before continuing. "Blood supplies oxygen throughout our bodies, helping us move, breathe, blink, speak. Without blood, we wouldn't be alive, doing the things we do. It moves us forward, gives us life."

The old woman cast a side glance at Kemuel, who was hanging on to every word.

"And finally, danger signals." She paused to take a deep breath.

"Danger signals," Kemuel repeated.

"A boundary, a precaution, a tool for protecting people before they get hurt. Danger signals act as guides to show you that the path you take will be dangerous, and they protect you before trouble happens."

"So what does that all mean to you?"

Misato smiled. "They all tell me what I must do to love my family," she replied, beaming down at Kemuel.

"I must love them by giving them another chance when they make mistakes, motivating them to live, and protect them before you get hurt," Misato continued, taking Kemuel's hand.

"I want you to do the same. For your loved ones," she confessed. "Will you do that for me, Aka-chan?"

"Yes, Baa-chan."

~•~•~

Kem exited the gym, his forehead beaded with sweat. It had been quite a long eight months since Fin had started, but already he was getting good at vaulting and jumping.

He'd even began using his ability around the fourth month! Kem could help but feel proud of Fin's progress.

Kem mopped his forehead with a towel as he headed into the changing room. Once again, he had to duck down so as not to bump his head onto a Christmas ornament hanging down from the doorway of the changing room.

He'd forgotten that today was Christmas Eve. Kem had to admit that he'd lost track of time while training Fin and had devoted a lot of time to doing so.

His grandmother made it a tradition to come visit him every year on Christmas, his birthday.

"I hope Baa-chan will visit me," Kem mumbled as he punched in the code to his locker.

"Who's Baa-chan?" asked Fin.

Kem let out a shriek, jumping back. "Fin! Don't scare me like that!" he wheezed, clutching at his chest.

Fin held up his hands in apology. "I'm sorry, Teacher Belfon," he amended.

"Will doing an apologetic river dance get me extra credit?" Fin joked. 

"Ha ha," Kem laughed dryly. "No promises."

The intercom buzzed overhead. "Kemuel Belfon, you have a visitor. Please report to the waiting room," a voice announced.

Kem's heart soared. He changed quickly, power walking to the door. "I'll see you later, Fin. Please lock my locker for me," he said as he exited the room.

~•~•~

"Merry Christmas and happy birthday to me," he sang silently as he took his seat, looking around the cold and blank interior of the waiting room.

It brought back a few memories of the time he wasn't here for a visit from his grandmother.

It was for a test he decided to take to allow him to go around Chrimata City whenever it was allowed.

While waiting, he had met a wild little girl with a red ribbon in her hair asking him to join her team.

It was unexpected, but appreciated nevertheless. What he got out of it was a red hair ribbon, a family of his own making, and a city to protect.

"Kemuel Belfon, please enter."

Kem stood up at the disembodied command, the door sliding automatically into the visiting room.

There sat his beloved grandmother, and in her arms, a small bundle of blankets. "Merry birthday, Aka-chan," Misato beamed.

"Happy Christmas, Baa-chan," Kem grinned, giving her a hug but took care not to crush the blankets between them. He had a feeling he knew what this surprise was.

Misato held out the small bundle. "Thandi Ao Belfon, your little sister," she introduced the small, cooing baby, who was reaching up for her big brother.

The seventeen-now-eighteen-year-old felt fresh tears stream down his face. "H-Hi," he greeted the baby in a small voice, cradling her in his arms.

Misato hugged both of them, tears springing up in her eyes. "You're all grown up now, Aka-chan. Watch over her whenever you're patrolling. Will you do that for me, Aka-chan?"

"Yes, Baa-chan."

A/N: This was, by far, the cutest chapter I have ever conceived. Kem is, by far, the beaniest bean ever conceived.

Please vote and tell me what you think in the comments! Don't forget that their official art and designs are on the hashtag #unwantedheroes on Instagram!

Another important announcement is that TWO more veroes are going to join the cast. All I want to spoil for you is that they are twins named Shyama and Sharmila Joshi.

Until next time, readers!