chapter eleven: a discussion

Sharmila opened her eyes, her vision blurry and her head spinning. Her hand reached out for her glasses that she presumed sat on a bedside table.

Unfortunately for her, there was no bedside table and two of her fingers poked the eye of a certain redhead, who yelped in pain. "I just wanted to say good morning!" Fin squeaked, jumping back.

"Sorry," Sharmila mumbled, wobbling as she sat up. "Where're my glasses?"

"They broke when you smacked into the wall," Fin reported, steadying her. "Shy fainted when he heard you hit the wall and we took you both here into the infirmary."

"Where is he?"

"On the bed to your left."

Sharmila squinted in his general direction, making out Shyama's snoring form. "Nerd," she mumbled.

"So, if my glasses broke, where are they now?" Sharmila asked Fin.

"Oh. Kem and Al went into the city to get them fixed," Fin replied. "They should be back soo--"

"We're back!" Al yelled, bursting into the infirmary.

"Al, not so loud," Kem chided her.

Shy snorted himself awake and nearly fell off the bed from the violent movement. "The pickles did it!" he shouted before composing himself awkwardly.

Pickles? Sharmila wondered.

"Good morning, Shar!" Al piped up cheerfully, sliding into the rolling chair beside the bed.

"M-Morning?" Shar frowned, squinting at the clock. "How long was I out?"

"Oh, no! It's just something I say when someone wakes up from a nap. Don't take it too seriously. You were only out for at least twelve hours," Al said dismissively, waving her hand.

"It's only been only eleven hours and thirteen minutes, Al," Kem pointed out.

He turned to Shar and set a paper bag in front of her. "Anyway, we got your glasses fixed and some donuts to make up for you and your brother's...um...mishaps?" Kem explained.

"I think Kem liked getting the donuts more than getting your glasses fixed," Al snickered.

Shar heard movement, followed by a yelp and a giggle. "You're mean, Al!"

"Where are my glasses?" Shar asked, opening up the bag.

"Above the donut box," Al replied.

Shar pulled out a rectangular box and opened it. "Thanks, guys," she said amidst Al's teasing and Kem's flustered stuttering.

~•~•~

"Sharmila, you still up?"

Shar's eyes opened at the sound of her twin's voice. "I am now," she whispered. "Something wrong?"

"Al said that it's OK for us to not join the group after today. What do you wanna do?" Shy's voice sounded small, almost afraid.

Shar wasn't very familiar with this type of voice. She was used to a hardened tone, sarcastic comments ready to fire like bullets in a gun, both for defense and attack.

All she heard was the timid brother she knew before the accident that took an eye from the both of them.

Shar pressed her mouth into a hard line. "I...I want to join this group," she confessed. "It's been quite some time since we've been invited to become part of something. I honestly think this will be good for us."

Silence followed her comment. "I'll stay, too," Shy finally said. "Not just for you, but I guess for myself too. You did say this will be good for us, and you have future vision and all."

Shar allowed herself a small smile. "Good night, Shyama."

"Good night."

A/N: I apologize for the shortness of this chapter, but I'm going to make the next one a little longer, with a flashback about Shy and Shar and how they're blind in one eye.

Official designs can be found on Instagram, all tagged as #unwantedheroes. As always, thanks for reading!