Promise of Love

The peace of the summer afternoon was broken by two rival gangs brawling their way across the square. They punched, kicked and slashed their way, through terrified crowds of people. By the time the police arrived, many men lay on the floor clinging onto life by a thread. The two gangs consisted of the Montagues and the Capulets.

 To make matters worse, the police never arrested anyone, for both families, were families of great power. All was quiet, until one policeman shouted “This is the third time this month! When will this feud be over?!” One of the Capulets scoffed “Ha! This ‘feud’ has lasted for generations! We will not be the ones to put an end to it!” “I agree!” Added his companion “Why stop now, when we have generations yet to come!” “I don’t care about how long this has been going on for, nor how long it will do. If this happens,” The policeman gestured to the dying and the dead, “One more time. The family responsible for the most death will be sent out of Verona, no. Italy for good!” 

The gangs remained silent for the first time since the police arrived. Slowly the ambulances made their way through the crowds of onlookers in the square and the dead and the dying were rushed away. “I don’t agree!” Spoke a young Montague boy, he could be no more than a teenager. “I think this feud should end, I hate all this death!” Both the gangs laughed and the boy was shoved away by his angry father. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A Red, Red Rose.

O my love's like a red, red rose,

That’s newly sprung in June;

O my love’s like a melodie

that’s sweetly played in tune-

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

So deep in love I am;

And I will love thee still, my Dear,

Till a’ the sea’s gang dry-

Till a’ the sea’s gang dry, my Dear,

And the rocks melt wi’ the sun:

I will love thee still, my Dear

While the sands o’ life shall run-

And fair thee well, my only Love!

And fair thee well, a while!

And I will come again, my Love,

Tho’ it were ten thousand miles!

{Robert Burns 1759-1796}

Written by littlemisslol101  and BlackMagic01 XxX