Chapter 34- Lucifer

Tombstone and I roll up to the precinct as Dice and his girl, Brielle, are bolting out of the door.

I power the window down and order them to get in. The color in Brielle's face drains. For a girl who is always neck-deep in some real shit you'd think her ass wouldn't be so damn scared.

"NOW! " That puts a fire under their asses as both rush toward the back door and climb inside.

"A triple murder charge?" I ask, removing my shades and sizing them up. "Impressive."

"Not funny," Dice huffs, slamming the door behind him.

Tombstone immediately peels off from the curb. No surprise that Dice is in one of his moods again. Irritated, I push my shades back up and try to hold on to my temper. "You're needed for a job tonight."

Dice eyeballs me. "What sort of job?"

"Gun run. Are you're ready to earn your stripes?"

"Are you asking or is Mason?" he challenges.

My eyes narrow. "Answer the fucking question."

I may not be able to kill him, but I can do anything just short of that for the disrespect.

"I was born ready," he says, pumping out his chest, probably to show off in front of his little girlfriend.

Until he gets a few more hairs on that muthafucka, he ain't doing a damn thing for me. I make sure that shit is reflected in my face.

"We'll see." My gaze shifts to Brielle.

She's looking at me like she can't decide whether to smile or jump out of the vehicle screaming. Frankly, I'm not sure how to take her ass either. Her crazy sister has put her through the fire more than a few times and her ass is still standing. I can respect that shit—but she's going to have to do something about that wide-eyed innocent look she has about her.

After a twenty-second staring contest, I've had enough. "Look, Either punch me or kiss me, but stop staring."

Brielle turns five shades of red before jerking her gaze out the back window. I roll my eyes and then catch Dice glaring.

"What?" He clamps his mouth shut until his jaw becomes a hard, straight line.

I have to clamp my mouth shut in order for this shit not to escalate into a full-blown situation. I hoped with Mason being back that whatever issue Dice has with me would be squashed. Guess I was wrong. What the fuck ever.

"Pickup is at nine so we're going to roll out no later than eight-fifteen. Be ready."

"Where is this pickup?" Dice asks.

"See. You're worried about the wrong damn thing," I say. "You just make sure that you're ready. Got it?"

"Yeah. A'ight. Whatever."

When we arrive at the Forest Hill Funeral Home, Dice springs out the door but then is very gentle when he turns to offer Brielle a hand in exiting the vehicle. Once he slams the door, I'm left sitting in the backseat, wondering what the fuck is his problem. The young couple returns to the car that they left at the funeral and then we follow them to Ruby Cove.

We're halfway home when it occurs to me that Tombstone is being awfully quiet today. In fact, he looks troubled about something. "Is everything all right?"

He doesn't answer. "Tombstone?"

"Huh?" His gaze shoots up to meet mine in the rearview mirror.