Chapter one. The Beginning

As all stories, mine starts off when i was born. I was born in a small country town in New South Wales, Australia. My mother Carly and my father Peter met each other when they were both in their late teen years at university. You see, one day they had a class together and they became friends and about 2 years later they were in a relationship. After about 5 more years my father proposed, saying my mother was "the one". My mother was 29 when she gave birth to me and my father is the same age as her. On that day, out of every name they could have called me, they named me Sam, Sam Middleton. 3 letters, one syllable and no meaning. I was born into quite a average life. I had no siblings therefore i was bored a lot and had nothing to do. I was born on the 13th of January 1991 and back then, we didn't have to worry as much as we do now. We could walk down the streets alone and we didn't have to worry about some old creep in a white van that might abduct us. Sure, we had our cautions but i had the best childhood any kid could ask for. I remember my parents telling me all the time that my first word was puppy. Weird i know, most kids first words are things like mummy, daddy or even car but mine, nope, it had to be puppy. We were down the street one day and i was in my little stroller as my mother pushed me around the supermarket collecting food items and placing them in a basket. I saw a person with a dog, a guide dog, for a blind person. The blind woman was with a grown man, a carer or a husband we wouldn't know but he complimented me. "Oh wow he is gorgeous! Look at those bright blue eyes." he said and my mother thanked him. His blind wife stood along side him with her dog close by. "p-puppy" i said.

"Oh MY GOD!" my mother cried and the man noticed what was going on. "His first WORD!" my mother said and the mans eyes lit up. He congratulated me and mum then carried on with his shopping. Then obviously my mother was crying happy tears and she called my dad telling him the news. And that was it, my first ever word when i was eleven months old. By the time i was 5 my parents decided to get me a puppy for my birthday. I told them i wanted to save one so they took me to the nearest animal shelter that was about and hour and a half away from the small country town we lived in. I remember that day clearly. My father had to work that day, he was a manager at a paper factory. His job was to file and record how many sheets of paper went in each carton and how big the paper must be. Boring i know, therefore my mother worked a little bit more of an interesting job, she was the school canteen lady at my primary school and she as well as another lady worked 3 maybe 4 days a week. So there i was with my mother walking up the isles of cages looking at every dog they had until we got to one cage, at the very back. In that cage there was a puppy, about 6 months old said the helper. He was a "Pointer" said the lady, that was the breed of him. "More commonly used as hunting dogs but they also make great family pets and—" the lady started but i interrupted her. "This one" i said blankly. "Are you sure?" my mother asked. I nodded my head. Since we got to the cage the puppy was running up and down getting all excited and once it had calmed down it just sat and stared straight at me and its eyes never left mine. I could see in his eyes that he was full of love and passion but behind all that was hurt. The lady opened the cage door so i could go in and play with it and i was in there for about an hour just playing with him and cuddling him whilst i listened to my mum talking with the staff member about pricing and how he was already vaccinated and had already had a vet check and also good ways to take care of a dog that would grow so big. Two questions caught my attention. "Whats his name?" my mother asked, "Oh he doesn't have one, your son will have to come up with one" the lady smiled at me and i returned it. "How did he get here?" my mum whispered so i couldn't hear but i heard anyway. The lady pulled her close and slightly whispered in her ear "We found him on the streets, in the cold and rain underneath a bus stop seat, waiting... for someone..." i heard what she said and i looked into the puppy's eyes and he looked sad all of sudden but i petted his head and he calmed down and looked much happier. We bought the tiny puppy and took him home and invited him to the family.
Notes:
Thanks so much for taking your time to read my first chapter for this new book. Let me know if you like it so far and I'll make chapter two ❤️
Don't be a silent reader
Sharing, voting and liking this novel will help heaps. Thanks so much xxx