Three

After that night I would see the Dragon wondering the gardens, usually out by the pond. He always seemed in deep contemplation. I did not want to interrupt his reverie so I always said nothing and walked the other way.

The meals continued to appear without anyone entering or exiting my room. I would turn around for one moment and the next a hot meal would be waiting for me on my little dining table.

Many of the main dishes I had been served consisted of fish. Some had other meats in them but not as the main ingredient.

I thought, perhaps, it was a reflection of what the Dragon ate and I wondered does he eat anything other than fish. It must be because he is a dragon.

About a month passed since I came to live with the Dragon God.  I was lounging in my room reading a book, which was all I ever seemed to do.  I kept moving about trying to get comfortable.  First I sat at my dining table, then on the lounger, the bed, and back to the dining table again.  Finally I set my book down and sighed to myself.

The truth was that there was absolutely nothing for me to do.

Then a thought occurred to me. The dragon is letting me live under his roof, after all  Even if he does consider me his wife. Perhaps it is time I started getting to know my so-called husband and do something for him as a wife.

With that in mind I set off to find the kitchen.

After losing my way several times, I successfully reached my goal. I was once again in awe of what I saw.

The palace kitchen was enormous compared to what I was used to. Ours had been large enough for me and my mother to work in but not without occasionally bumping into each other.

With all this space, I could cook a feast; if I had help. But for today I wanted to make something light but filling. With that in mind, I decided to make charsiu buns.

I managed to find some pork in the storage area, and send about preparing it for the buns. They took a while to make but with a few tricks that my mother had taught me, I was able to finish them in time for the midday meal.

Packing the buns into a beautifully lacquered box I'd found, I took them out in the garden to a pavilion I remembered seeing, along with a teapot and two cups. I had filled the pot with jasmine tea, which I thought would go well with the buns.

After carefully laying out the cups and tea pot I called out, 'My lord?'

There was no answer.

Taking a breath, I quietly called again; this time with his name.

'Qing-Yao shao-ye?'

'Yes?'

I turned, startled at hearing his voice behind me.

He was already seated at the table.

Composing myself, I told him, 'I made charshao buns.'

It was barely noticeable, but I saw his eyes widen for a moment.

I distracted myself by pouring us both cups of tea and set one of the buns in front of him. The buns had been steamed on squares of paper, so there no need for plates.

His long elegant fingers peeled away the paper before he took a tentative bite.

This time his eyes noticeably widened. 'Delicious!'

An explicable warmth began to blossom in my chest.

He continued taking big bites out of the bun until he had completely devoured it.

'May I have another?' he asked tentatively.

'Help yourself,' I replied.

He picked up another bun and peeled away the paper from the bottom; but ate it slower than the first.

I sipped at my own cup of tea in between bites of my own.

It was very quiet out here in the garden; no birds sang, there was only the breeze that rustled the leaves in the trees and bushes.

Just then my attention was drawn back to the box.

I had made twelve buns; I had only eaten two or three of them, and there were now only four left in the box. Then I noticed the crumbs he'd managed to spill onto the table.

I couldn't help giggling at the sight. It amazed me that such a so powerful being could be so childish

He looked up, startled. Then he smiled. Somehow he seemed more like a boy than a centuries old deity. At least I think he's centuries old.

I found myself teasing him. 'I take it you enjoyed them.'

'Very much,' he replied a little sheepishly.

'I'm glad.'

He reached for another; but I slapped his hand away from the box.

'You've had enough,' I said using the tone that my mother did when my little brother decided to be greedy.

'I'm not a child,' he said almost petulantly.

I raised one eyebrow at him before packing the remaining buns for later.

As I placed the lid back on the box, I glanced back at him.  He looked even more adorable with his slightly pouting expression.  I felt heat rising to my face.

'I-I will see you later, mi...Qing-Yao,' I stuttered, before hastily retreating back to the kitchen, where I stored the buns in one of the cupboards.

I would probably have to make more if we wanted any for lunch or tea tomorrow.

That thought made me pause. I was thinking of doing it again with Qing-Yao again. I smiled. Perhaps being married to a dragon is not going to be as bad as I thought it would be.