Chapter 6

Archer's POV

"Für die Hausaufgaben werden Sie einen Aufsatz erzählte mir von Ihrer Familie zu schreiben. Zwei Seiten Doppel angeordnet."

What... what the heck does that mean? There's only one word that I understood out of what my german professors just said and that was "Hausaufgaben" which means homework. How am I supposed to actually do it, if I don't know what it is? I sighed and asked the boy next to me what the professor just said. I can't go on like this. I took an intro to German class senior year as an elective and so I thought I was ready enough to enroll in Intermediate German in college. Boy was I wrong. I know nothing. Come to think of it, I didn't even pay much attention to the class when I took it in high school. I had that class with Lyd and we spent the whole time passing flirtatious notes. That's probably why it was my favorite class. I took out my syllabus and found the TA's office hours. I am going to need to spend a lot of time in her office. Law schools are not going to accept me if I have a low gpa.

As soon as I stood from my seat, my phone started vibrating. I could already guess who it was. Lydia. She called me ALL the time. We exchanged schedules so she knew when I started and ended class. Sometimes she said she just wanted to hear me breathe as she walked to her next class. I debated on whether or not I should just let it ring or if I should answer it.

I let it go to voicemail. I couldn't talk to Lydia now, all I can think about how I'm going to pass German. Just as I left the building, my phone started vibrating again and I figured Lydia might keep calling until I answered, so I picked up.

"Hey." I said, trying not to sound bored and failing.

"Well you don't sound happy to talk to your mother." my mom said in the nagging voice of hers. I perked up at hearing her voice. Though I would never tell her, I really miss her and I'm glad she just called me. "My only child, the one I fed and clothed for 18 years doesn't even want to speak to me!"

"No! Mom, that's not true. What's up?"

"I just wanted to see how you were doing."

"I'm doing just great!" I say even though it's not completely true. If I was doing just great, I wouldn't be on the verge of failing German.

"How's dad?" I ask "When you see him, tell him I'm not paying any attention to school, all I'm doing is just practicing, practicing, practicing. I'm an olympian in the making." This certainly wasn't true, I had no plans of pursuing volleyball after college. I haven't told my dad yet, because I want to give him more time with his delusions. Don't get me wrong, I love volleyball. Not to sound conceited but, I am VERY good at it. Volleyball is my whole life... and that's the problem. I want something much more fulfilling with my life than winning medals and feeding my own ego.

"He'd like that wouldn't he?" my mom replied laughing. She knows as well as I do how my dad feels about me and volleyball.

"How are you mom? What have you been up to? How's the empty nest?" I ask.

"It's interesting you mention the empty nest Archer." she says. I'm not sure I like the tone of her voice "I found something interesting in your room, when I was cleaning my empty nest."

oh. no.

What could I have left? I thought I was careful. I knew there were some things I wouldn't want my mother and her delicate sensibilities to find, and I made sure to bring them with me. But, obviously I made a mistake somehow.

"Mom, I don't know what to say; except that I'm sorry." I say, worried about what she may think about me now.

"It's not a huge deal Darling, I was just shocked to find that you left Sylvester."