Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            It wasn’t until we had driven back to the highway that Will spoke to me.

            “Scarlet, you can’t tell anyone that we came here today.  You seriously can’t tell anyone that we even know each other,” he said.

            “Why?  You won’t tell me about the other things, but why am I not allowed to know you?” I asked, getting more and more irritated.  He didn’t respond.

            “Damn it, Will.  Will you please tell me what’s happening?  Why do I have to act like I don’t know who you are?” I screamed.

            “Because they’ll kill you,” he screeched, even louder than me.

            “What the hell?  Who will kill me?  I didn’t even freaking do anything!” I exclaimed.

            “Listen, I know some pretty bad and dangerous people.  After I drop you off at your house, I don’t ever want you to talk to me again.  Do you understand me?” he firmly told me.

            “No, you aren’t my father.  I’ll talk to whoever I want to talk to,” I pouted.  He suddenly pulled the car over, and we got a few honks from other cars speeding down the highway.  Will looked over at me and grabbed my arm.  It hurt.

            “Scarlet.  I never want to fucking talk to you again,” he yelled.  He threw my arm down and I quickly began cradling it.

            “God, Will.  Fine, I won’t ever talk to you again.  Ever,” I exclaimed.  There was a long pause.

            “Sorry about your-” Will began.

            “Shut the fuck up, you asshole,” I interrupted him.  At once I was astounded at how I had managed to slip in two swear words.  I usually wasn’t one to swear, but lately, cussing was becoming convenient.  Will quickly bit his tongue and clenched his hand around the steering wheel.  He turned back into the lane.

            I reached over and turned on the radio.  Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People was playing.  Just to annoy him, I turned up the volume all the way and began singing, really loudly, and may I add, really badly.  He just looked over at me and smirked.  He, too, began belting the lyrics out.  With both of our voices combined, we sounded like dying whales.  How pleasant.  I scoffed at him and looked out the window.

            After the song ended, Will turned off the music.

            “I’m sorry.  It’s not that I don’t want to talk to you, but it’s for your own good.  Please understand.  These are bad guys we’re talking about,” he gently said.

            “And what kind of guy are you?  You go to a school for delinquents,” I retorted, bringing back the subject of his criminal record.

            “That doesn’t define my character, and stop bringing it up.  You don’t know the circumstances that landed me there,” he explained.

            “So tell me the details of those circumstances,” I requested.

            “No,” he firmly said.  I sighed.  Will was tough to crack.  We spent the rest of the ride home in silence.

            We finally pulled up to Lisa’s house at noon.

            “Give me your keys and I’ll bring your car back,” Will insisted.  I hesitated, but soon pulled the keys out of my bag.  I started to open my door.

            “Wait, before you go and we start acting like strangers,” he began, “if you want to know the whole story about, well, everything, then go to that tattoo and piercing place on Rose Avenue and ask for Maddy.  Tell her I sent you and she’ll know what to tell you,” he informed me.  I nodded slowly.

            “Oh, and Scarlet, don’t feel like you’re alone in all of this.  Even though we technically don’t know each other, I will protect you.  I got you into this mess,” he said, looking past me.

            “Thanks, Will,” I quietly said.  I reached over and brushed some strands of his hair out of his face.  He grimaced and turned away.  I suddenly felt very embarrassed and slammed the door, hard.  He shivered and quickly drove away.  I ran in through the door and gave a Lisa a hug, which surprised her.  This whole experience had made me feel like I would never see her again. 

            “There’s some oatmeal left for you in the kitchen.  Eat up,” she told me as she pointed to a bowl on the table. 

            “Thanks,” I cheerfully said, even though inside I was terrified.  I didn’t know why Will felt the need to protect me.  Besides, it wasn’t like those so-called dangerous guys even knew who I was.  But even though I kept telling myself this, I couldn’t help but feel a growing fear inside of my chest as I waited for Will to bring the car back.