ONE

"Brendon" My Mom elbows me and I look up, her blue eyes staring at me. "The new neighbours are coming for dinner, please get out of the kitchen so I can sort it out" She says and I goran, reaching up and taking a cereal bar out of the cupboard.

"Why do you always invite the new neighbours for dinner, Ma? They wouldn't do it if it were us moving in" I say, leaning against the counter as I watch her frantically try and oil the baking tray.

"Because, Brendon, I'm a polite lady and you are going to be a polite young man, do you hear me?" She asks and I roll my eyes. well, do you?"

"Yes, Ma" I say and she smiles.

"They have a young boy your age, he's cute" She waggles her eyebrows at me and I roll my eyes. "Your eyes will roll into the back of your head if you're not careful" She winks and I roll my eyes again.

"Why are you always trying to set me up with people? I can find someone on my own, you know?"

"When was the last time yo had a boyfriend?" She asks as I put my empty wrapper in the bin.

"I haven't exactly had-"

"That is why" She cuts me off and I glare at her. "Now, out of the kitchen" She shoos me out and I sigh.

"I'm goin-"

"Shit!" She cuts me off and I sigh again, agitated. "I need you to head to the supermarket for me and get some eggs"

"You're lucky you pay for my internet or I would've ditched a long time ago" I say walking over to her as she fishes out her purse. She hands me some money and I kiss her cheek as a goodbye as she gets back to preparing the dinner.

______________________________________________________________________

I walk into the almost empty supermarket and head straight to a worker I see. He looked about my age, he had pale skin, straightened hair, eyeliner and a skinny figure.

"Hey, kid" I tap his shoulder and he turns around, smiling slightly. "Do you know where the eggs are?" I ask and I see him looking at my mouth as I talk and I furrow my eyebrows. He nods and gives me a motion for me to follow him.

I follow him through the aisles and he stops in front of something and points to it. I notice it's the eggs and I smile and take them off the shelf.

"Thanks...Ryan" I say, looking at his nametag. He smiles and gives a small salute as recognition, walking away without a word. I stare at him until he goes out of view and then I walk to the counter, shaking my head slightly.

I pay for the eggs and then set off him. When I get there I see the new neighbours stood outside my house and I cough as I walk up the driveway, they turn around and I see it's just the mother and father.

"Can I help you?" I ask as I approach the front door. The woman smiles and me and hands me a plate with tin foil over the top.

"You must be Brendon" She smiles and I nod, faking a smile. "I'm Danielle, this is George" She points to her husband. "We wanted to give you and your mother a gift, for having us over" Danielle says and I smile weakly.

"Thank you so much, I'm sure she'll appreciate it" I take the plate and George looks me up and down.

"We'll see you later, then, tell your mother we said thank you" Danielle smiles and I nod as they leave and I rethink that event. They seem nice enough, I suppose.

I open my front door and step inside, closing it with my hip so I don't drop the plate. I walk into the kitchen where my mother is seated, reading a magazine and I put the plate and the bag on the table in front of her and she smiles, putting down the magazine and toying with the tin foil on the plate.