Start

They say you can tell a lot about a person by what he enjoys looking at the most: the sunrise or the sunset. If you choose the early morning event, you're an optimist, someone who is all sunshine and rainbows, always looking to the bright side of things.

And then there are the sunset lovers, the melancholic ones, those who clamor for sadness and despair, who tend to look at things as bleak, with hopelessness in their hearts.

Maine just laughed when Alden shared this in the middle of an early morning with waffles and coffee. Piece of psychological bullshit, she said as she poured herself a second mug.

She doesn't understand why people have such a negative view on sunsets. Yes, it signals the end of a day, but not all endings are bad. Nights are important too, she protested. If not for the darkness of the evening, you wouldn't appreciate the brightness of the moon, the stars, and all the other little specs of light that you can see as you look up to the sky.

He watched as she passionately proved her point, albeit to someone who wasn't really going to argue against it. And when she was done explaining how sunsets are just as beautiful as the sunrise, he reached across the table for her hand and laced his fingers with hers.

And before she tells him that she's not yet done defending her side, he tells her that yes, sunsets can be the loveliest of views, like the one sitting in front of him now: hair in a slightly tousled mess, his oversized shirt on her petite frame, her face still fresh even if they're lacking hours of sleep.

And like most days, that does the trick as her cheeks would start to flush and he would reply with his little grin because he has done his job.

Maine loved the sunset. This was one of the first things Alden remembered when he started this crazy little ride with her, and he tries his hardest not to forget.