4: She Didnt Know

It's strange how sitting next to someone can make you feel like you're surrounded by people. I guess the reason for that is I'm one of those people who wants to have a conversation but doesn't know what to say or is too shy to say it. It's real anxiety, and it's something my mom doesn't understand. There are also people who prefer to be by themselves, and then there are people who don't want to talk to you at all.

I think Emly falls into the latter category.

But sometimes, I surprise myself. When I talk to people that I know I won't see again, I push myself to be more outgoing, just like I did with Emly.

My life may seem boring, but I'm completely content with it.

"Goodnight, Jesus! Don't forget to wake me up tomorrow."

XxxxxxxxxxxdaysxxxxxxxxxxxX

"Sian, the facility called me to inform you that they need your help again. They said they couldn't reach you."

"They're the ones calling me?!" I exclaimed to myself. This is going to be embarrassing.

"It seems so."

"Mom! This is why we need a phone with actual numbers, please?" I begged.

"I can't. You know it's too expensive. We already bought you a beeper."

"But I mean, we need it. Especially now that I'll be working soon."

"We'll change it when you turn 16."

"Whyyyyy?" I fake cried and kneeled on the first step of the stairs while my mom ignored me and continued up to her room. I rolled my eyes.

I went to the kitchen and saw a box of Krispy Kreme on the table.

I opened it, and it was like I had stumbled upon a dozen gold bars.

"Thank you, Mom!" I yelled and shoved a glazed doughnut into my mouth.

"Ugh. I hate it when they're newly baked. It's like eating sweet air," I complained to myself.

"I wanna know what love is, I wa-" My phone interrupted me with its ringing. "Nt you to shoow it." I sang along with my phone.

"Hi?" I answered.

"Hi, Sian. We're glad you picked up. Mrs. Kane is out today, and we really need some volunteers. Are you free?" The lady on the other end of the line asked.

Of course, they're glad. Ugh, I don't want to, but they'll think I was ignoring their calls. The struggle is real. "Yes, I'm free today. What time do I need to be there?"

"At 1 p.m., and we'll give you a bonus hour," she said.

"I'll be there at 1." I hung up. Well, technically, they hung up, not me. I'm the kind of person who can't end a call.

Thank goodness it wasn't one of my friends. I don't like talking to them.

Shoot! It's already noon. I need to take a shower. I ran to my room and grabbed my Foreigner muscle tee and high-waisted shorts. I turned on the shower and didn't care about the temperature.

"And your life ain't worth livin'

And you're ready to give in

Just remember, it's only loveee"

I put shampoo in my hair and scrubbed it using my nails. Ooh, bubbles. I made a tiny circle with my fingers and blew it. I washed my hair, put conditioner in it, and then scrubbed my body. Johnson's baby bath is so good.

I stepped out of the steamy shower and grabbed my towel, drying myself off as quickly as possible. I could hear the clock ticking away, reminding me that I was running late again. I quickly brushed my teeth and combed my wet hair, trying to make it look presentable.