Chapter 22

Old House Josette's room 1797

Vicki felt sorry for Naomi she had a lot on her and it appeared she handled it all while Joshua was away. Turning she called to Naomi, "I hope your headache improves, I shall be in the room you are letting me use. Good night Mrs. Collins." Vicki heard the brush of her skirt across the floor walking down the hallway and back to her bedroom. Vicki returned Josette's room. Walking to the settee she sat down and had to reflect on what had happened to her and how she had ended up in the mad hatter's tea party.

Hearing a noise in the hallway she moved to the door and pressed her ear to the door. She could hear voices in the hallway a man's voice that sounded like Peter's voice and a woman's voice, one she had not heard before, "I told you not tonight Angelique. I am far too upset over what happened to Miss Wycke to play your little game. Now leave me alone."

The words that came back were low and very threatening. "I do not take kindly to your high handed way of tossing me aside Peter, you will regret it." Then there was silence. She closed her eyes and leaned her back to the door and sighed. Not only had she found herself back in time somehow but also she was now witnessing the love play between the servants. Pushing off the door she walked back to the settee and dropped to it. Her intent was to sit and wait for the doctor to come up. The reality of it all was if Naomi thought she had a headache it was nothing compared to the one she was getting at this moment.

Pinching her nose with her fingertips she spoke softly, "Please get me out of here!" The air was silent and there was no one to hear her plea so she sighed and cradled her head in her arms and waited. Feeling exhausted she soon found her eyelashes fluttering close and she was drifting off into a much needed sleep.

There it was again that annoying feeling of being touched. Vicki opened her eyes and blinked then peered up startled at the kindly face old gentleman that stood over her. "My dear, Mrs. Collins said you might have suffered an injury earlier on the main road? She indicated that has affected your memory? She asked me to check on you."

Vicki blushed and fluttered her eyelashes considering the man in front of her. "Yes, I am sorry she did say that once you had finished with Miss Wycke you might be up to examine me. I did have a head injury a few weeks ago when my carriage ran off the road and I ended up in a ditch. I had I know hit my head pretty hard then."

The old gentleman smiled and sat next to her, "Do you mind if I examine you?" Vicki shook her head and waited patiently while he helped her to stand and directed her to the bed. Sitting on the edge she allowed him to do a simple exam of checking her eyes and her ears and then listening to her heart. "Well by all appearances except for a fast heartbeat, you seem to be a pretty healthy young lady."

From the doorway Vicki looked up at the sound of another's approach. Barnabas stood in the open doorway and smiled, "May I enter?"

Vicki nodded her assent and waited for him to make his entrance. How much he looked like the Barnabas she knew in her time. "How is the patient Dr. Jacobs?"

Dan Jacobs chuckled softly, "I would hardly call this healthy young lady a patient I just wished Miss Wycke had fared as well as this young lady.."

Barnabas with a courtly bow to the doctor and then to Vicki spoke so gently and sweetly, "She certainly is a lovely and now a healthy young lady. I will inform my mother of her good health. I will bid you good eve Miss Winters and hope you rest well."

Vicki stood and watched him leave then she turned to the doctor. "Thank you doctor Jacobs, it was very kind of you to take the time and effort to help me."

Jacobs studied the young woman and smiled, "My dear I think in some ways you may know more about your own continued good health than I. I like Mr. Collins will bid you good night."