chapter 3

“Let’s go play basketball!!” Jonas ran around the house yelling at everyone. “Its hot Koa.. Plus there’s no basketball court around here…” I ran through my mind trying to make up excuses to ignore my father. “Elizabeth…” Jonas’s whining got louder and louder. My mind was harvesting a major headache as I continued to listen to my little brother.

Then my mother comes into my room. “Come on Jonas, we are going to go to the basketball court by the library.” She smiles at me and my little brother as he jumps off of my bed and runs to get ready.

“Who’s all going to play basketball?” I ask my mother this and she thinks for a while. “I believe that your father, brother, and sisters are going. So am I! Do you want to come with us?”

Do I really want to come? My father is going to be there along with the rest of my family. My mother will be there so he can’t do anything to me or my sisters. “Sure! I want to come!” I smiled very happily at my mother as she walks out of my bedroom.

Why did I do that? I don’t have any good clothes and basketball playing clothes. I sighed and laid back down on my bed. I’ll go in my long boot cut baggy jeans. I basically swim in those jeans. I looked though my drawers and saw a nighty shirt that’s too big on me and puts it on. I’m ready to face this evening.

I sat on the curb rubbing my hurt face. I could almost feel the tears coming to my eyes. This week has been too much for me. I watched my family play and felt even worst. Could I really tell my mom about my father? What kind of damage could that do to us? Do I have the heart to break my family apart?

My beloved mother comes toward me and interrupts my thoughts. “Are you okay? How’s your face?” she sits beside me and checks my face briefly. “It’s okay.” Is this the right time to tell my mom? Should I? He’s over there playing with my sisters and brother. He’s distracted.

“Mom..?” I turn toward my mom ready to tell her. “I..” “Lisa!” my father yelled out to my mom. She shifted toward him and smiled to him. He smiled her way and walked our way with a water bottle.

 “Do you guys want some?” He looked straight into my eyes and I looked at the nearby trees. “How’s your face?” he continued to look at me.

“I’m okay.” I looked at the sun setting and closed my eyes trying not to cry. It was his fault. He threw the ball at my face when I wasn’t looking. My whole right side of my face was in pain as I sat on the curb. Could this day get any worse?

I closed my door to my bedroom and wrapped myself very tightly in my blankets. I am worm!! A perfect earthworm in the world that only eats dirt and poos it out. The most innocent thing in the world who doesn’t know anything about how horrible the human race can be. I felt a few tears fall on my pillow on that thought and felt my eyes close due to sleep.

I snapped my eyes open when I heard those feet trudge to my bed. I felt the bed creak as he lays down behind me. I heard him sigh and then pulls me towards him. He then feels my earthworm blankets and begins to unwrap me from my shell. Then he pulls the blanket over us and begins to kiss my face. I close my eyes because I could feel the need to cry. I felt my trust in my father gradually fade away as he continues to leave slobbery kisses on my face.

I pushed away from him and tried to get away from him as always and as always he tried to pull me back to him. “Stop it!! I’ll tell mom if you don’t stop!” He paused for a moment but continued to kiss my face and wrap his arms just below my breasts and by the place where my underwear should go. I was trapped and I couldn’t do anything about this.

Could I continue to go on in my life knowing my step-dad did this to me? Can i?

Then I felt his hands trail up to my breasts and try to pull away the fabric covering them. At the same time his hands slithered underneath my underwear to my untouched place. I closed my eyes and tried to picture something better but I just couldn’t. I jumped up with intensity and ran to my older sister’s room leaving him in my room without anyone there.