Prologue

Darkness.

That's how it started every time.

I remember falling, and then a blaze of colours.

Happy colours.

I see a little girl, about 6 years old, with two blond pigtails, crawling out of a hole in a big tree.

She opened her stormy grey eyes, which seemed odd in such a colourfull place.

She is wearing a short blue Sunday dress.

Somewhere to her left, a bush moves and a pure white rabbit appears.

"Connor!" the little girl calls as she runs towards the rabbit.

Then the strangest thing happens.

White smoke starts to surround the rabbit until you couldn't see it anymore, and as soon as it cleared, there stood a boy.

He was about 16 years old with snowy white hair and icy blue eyes.

The girl ran straight into his arms with no doubt and Connor picked her up and spun her around.

Then another boy appeared.

He looked about the same age as Connor, but he had chocolate brown hair and emerald green eyes.

As soon as he saw the little girl, he smiled.

"Alice, you're early."

The girl - Alice - let go of Connor and ran towards the other boy.

"She's not early Peter," Connor said, walking towards the other boy, "you just arrived a little later than usual."

"Oh, so now it's my fault?" Peter replied setting Alice down on the ground.

"No, I just-"

"No fighting" Alice broke them off. Then she waited a while before poking Connor and shouting, "Tag! You're it!" and ran away.

Realising what just happened, Peter ran after Alice towards a random tree. Then Alice climbed on his back and jumped onto the lowest branch of the tree.

Then Peter hauled himself up just as Connor reached the bottom of the tree.

Alice was already on all-fours, running around in the tree and leaping from branch to branch.

Somewhere below, Connor grabbed hold of Peter's ancle and hauled himself higher up in the tree while shouting, "Tag! Peter, you're it!"

Peter looked annoyed for a second, then followed Alice higher into the tree.

They kept playing like this until the sun began to set.

Peter caught Alice as she jumped out of the tree and set her down on the ground.

Connor jumped down in his own.

They all walked towards the big tree with the hole, where Alice came from.

They all said their goodbyes and Alice climbed back into the tree.

Once inside, she gave a big jump as the air picked her up.

There was a big flash, and once it was gone, Alice sat in her garden, next to a big willow tree with a hole in it.

"Alice!" a voice called from the house, "Where are you?"

"Coming mother!"